is the U.S. dollar worth more than the Australian dollar?

Favorite Answer

No,our dollar has been worth more for some time.

You get more actual US dollars for each Australian dollar. However that is a relatively meaningless figure - you have to look at buying power. On the Economist Big Mac Index the Australian dollar is still worth a little bit less than the US dollar

• Bob B

No. According to current exchange rates, the Australian dollar is worth 1.04905 US dollars. You can check current rates at the link below.

Before 1983, the Australian dollar used to be "pegged" to various currencies, and was generally higher than the US dollar. After it was floated in 1983, its value declined and stayed lower than the US dollar until 2010, when it equalled the US dollar again. Since then it has generally been worth slightly more.

• J

No. Ever heard of Google? The Australian dollar has been worth more than the US dollar since the GFC.

• Cecil

The little aussie battler spent years & years way below the greenback. In more recent times the aussie dollar has crept up and remains slightly above the US$. Despite the attempts by the Australian Reserve Bank to get the aussie dollar down, it is likely to remain higher for some time yet.

• ooo

It supposed to be worth more, to whom, well that's another matter. I haven't got parity through the auto tellers since it was 1.08. I'll withdraw $1500 tomorrow and will be happy if I get around 98 cents US.

P.S. Last time I bought a Jetstar ticket, Vietnam to Australia, they ripped me off more than 10% on the Australian dollar. When you start dealing with the Australian currency and Australian banks it won't take you long to work out why they (banks) can post billion dollar quarterly profits!

PS. Well whoever the smartarse was that TDed me, put up or shut up. I've been drawing on my Australian accounts OS every week for the last 11 years, I don't claim to know a lot but I do know a little about the US/Aussie dollar exchange rate! C'mon, tell me where YOU can get $1.04US for the Australian dollar!

What they advertise and what they give you is two very different things!

Based on weigh the US dollar is more since they have not stopped printing us dollars for over 40 years now.

Based on global currencie exchange rates the aussie is worth a bit more

1 Australian dollar = 1.0491 US dollars. So the AU$ is worth more.

Not only is the Aussie dollar worth more, 330 million people (or there abouts) Americans are asking themselves, how can a country with only 22 million people (or there abouts ) people have a dollar worth more than ours?

No wonder this section is full of Americans asking about migrating here.

• opurt

No, and it hasn't been worth more since June 15th. According to Google, 1 USD is currently worth around 0.9532 AUD.