To the Left: Why should unions have the ability to fire me if I don't want to support their cause?

I think I know if unions can't FORCE their members to pay dues at the threat of being fired, workers might not join them. AM I Right or Am I Wrong?

• David
    Favorite Answer

The dues are like a tax that pays for the services the union provides, such as bargaining the collective agreement and educating the membership to enforce it.

I may be a physician, but I am smart enough to know that if the nurses and staff had no unions the hospitals would pay them as little as possible and treat them like serfs. If you had any brains you would see that as well.

It is no secret that the golden age of the 1950s that Republicans are so fond of referring to was the most heavily unionized and most heavily taxed decade in our history. If we want that kind prosperity again we have to be prepared to pay for it.

• Daniel

Is this really an issue now? Something like 90% of workers are not unionized. It's really not hard to find a non union job so if it's that much of a problem, find another job.

What kind of a union would it be if you don't pay dues to support it ? Unions bargain for your benefit . On average the union jobs make 30% more at a cost of 1.5 % . If you can't do that math then maybe you should seek other work .

You won`t get fired. Get real here, you`ll only be docked for union dues if you have an agency shop clause in your union bylaws. You have the option of donating those funds to a worthy charity, then use that as a write off on your taxes. Your over dramatic fear makes you look silly.

In a closed shop the employer would have to fire you or be in violation of its union contract. The union would insist on it. Strange. Unions get up in arms when they see monopolies forming in the private sector, but it's just dandy when they do it. Bloody hypocrites. In the past 30 years unions have done more than anyone to drive jobs out of the country with their rapacious demands. Well, the tables are turning and the unions (though not necessarily their members) are running scared. It's about time!

People don't join unions because they're afraid of being fired otherwise; they join because of the benefits that are obtained.

And as the previous poster said, look up the difference between a closed and open shop.

You are entirely wrong. Clearly your ideas o unions come from Fox News.

You might also want to review working conditions that led to the formation of unions.

Why should you have the right to ask, or tell a union you must represent me when you don't want to pay. You want all the benefits the unions get for you but don't want to pay for them. SCAB. AND THAT IS A FACT.

And another thing, unions don't fire employees, they fight for their members.

Except that's not how it actually works.

You can still take that job. Except you have to accept the fact it's a union job.

The few percentage points they take off your paycheck is hardly a serious consideration for anybody regarding whether or not to accept employment. Therefore, it is a spurious argument.

Unions can't fire anyone. Scab.