How can I prepare for my audition?

I have an audition for my school play and I am really stressed. How do I prepare for it?

Favorite Answer

Just relax and get into the character that you are auditioning for. Don't stress cause you are basically auditioning as yourself. Because you are in character. The character you are portraying wouldn't stress out so you need to step out of reality for a few moments because those feelings are coming from you not your character. Get into the mindset of your character and all shall be okay. Just get a good nights sleep and read over the play. If you have a good feel of what you are doing then sleep on it because when you sleep your memories are being stored for the long term. Eat a good breakfast and review everything as much as possible when you can. Practice in front of your family/friends and ask them what you could do better.

Source(s): myself

Step 1: Research the show- understand the general plot and tone of the show. Also, know the characters personalities in the case that you will need to read for them or sing one of their songs

2. Be Prepared- If needed, prepare a song and monologue at least 2 weeks in advance and practice them. Also, if singing, prepare your voice. Also, ask the director for more information about the audition so that you know what you need to do.

3. Go in with confidence and try to remain calm. Have a presence, but do not be cocky.

Overall, if you research the show, practice what you will do at the audition, and try to remain calm throughout the whole process, things should go well for you.

Best of luck!!

Make sure you know what kind of show it is. If it is just a normal play then you will probably just need a monologue. If it is a musical you may need a monologue and a song. Also you need to know if it is more comedic or dramatic, that will help you decide what monologue to use. Also I would suggest on reading up on the play. Ask one of the teachers involved if there is a copy of the script you can borrow, and if not just head up to you school or local library. Also you probably will want to have your audition piece for a while so you can get it where you want it. When it gets time for the audition make sure to dress nice, speak loud and clearly, and you will do fine. Break a leg!

Source(s): I am a college theatre student.
  • Colie

Well if you need a song then find a song and practice it till you know it inside and out. If you need a monolouge then do the same thing! Just make sure you go in feeling prepared!