Are you offended when told "Merry Christmas"?

I do not understand why some people get so offended. It is my belief that people who are like that are interfering with our free speech. You can't keep me from saying Merry Christmas just like I can't keep you from saying Happy Holidays. Why can't we say the greeting we prefer and not make a fuss over it? The same goes for the government, can they not say their greeting of choice? A greeting does not promote a religion, a greeting is all it is. what are your thoughts?

Favorite Answer

I agree. Personally, I am a Christian and no longer see Christmas as a Christian holiday anymore. With the commercialization, the addition of a fat man who uses magic to give material possessions to children, adding a pine tree in there, and all of these other traditions, the holiday seems more American than Christian anymore. I personally wouldn't mind people calling it X-mas if they really wanted to, it doesn't offend me. I do agree that people should be able to say what they want as long as it isn't harming anyone else. For people who don't believe in Christ, some make a pretty big deal about him.

It doesn't offend me anymore than being told happy hanukkuh does. I believe that how you chose to greet someone is not only freedom of speech, but also freedom of religion. I may not be very religious, but I respect those who are, and their right to believe what they will

I'm not completely offended, just a little annoyed. I mean, if you were a random acquaintance and you didn't know I was Jewish, and you said "merry Christmas" I would say thanks, giggle, and say "happy Hanukkah!" if you were a store employee and said that to me, I would be annoyed.

And "happy holidays" can be just as offensive to some religions that do not celebrate holidays such as Jehovah's witnesses

• sitz

i'm getting indignant, because of the fact Christmas has no longer something to do with Jesus. in case you look up its origins, it became no longer celebrated by the apostles after Jesus' dying. in actuality it became hundreds of years later that it became instituted. Christmas is in accordance with varies pagan celebrations mixed. Constatine threw Jesus in there, just to united Christians and Pagans. Jesus did no longer approve of pagan traditions (one in each and every of which became offering up little ones as sacrifices) and does no longer have needed his call linked with any component of pagan occasion.. think of for a minute that individuals celebrated Martin Luther King Junior birthday on the day of a Klu Klux Klan chief. additionally on his birthday all and sundry would walk around in white hoods and say that it had to do with some thing that Martin Luther King supported. no longer purely would that's ironic, yet additionally ridiculous.... that's rather what Christmas does with Jesus. in case you rather love Jesus, you will check out the commencing place of Christmas... would Jesus want his call tied with pagan celebrations? Who have been the pagans? What style of issues did they do? can we even care approximately what Jesus would think of? Are traditions extra important than their meanings?

• eiere

I am not offended when someone wishes well on me.

No,not really