Does the sound card on the Alienware X51 support 5.1 Surround Sound?

Does it, because I have heard that it doesnt, and I just bought $100 speakers so...

If it doesn't please tell me how to fix this or give me a link to something under $30 to help!

Update:

Will it support surround sound speakers and not just give me normal speaker audio?

Update 2:

Any details about anything on this subject with an answer will help!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Every single desktop computer's built in sound supports 5.1 lol

EDIT: yes

even if your computer only has 3 audio ports (line in, line out, mic)

you can still use 5.1ch surround sound.

Plug the green cable (front speakers, left/right) into the green port on the motherboard (line in)

Plug in the black cable (rear speakers, left/right) into the blue port on your motherboard (line out)

Plug in the orange cable (center/sub) into the pink port on your motherboard (mic in)

Now it wont just work plug and play like that ofcoruse.

Download the latest sound drivers for your sound chipset on the motherboard (which it should be on the dell site for your model alienware computer, look in support/drivers section).

Download/install that, restart your computer if you did install new drivers.

Then go into your audio manager, there is usually a shortcut in the control panel to it

control panel > hardware and sound > at the bottom, should be like realtek audio manager or something like that.

(if its not there, find out what audio chipset you have and look online for what its called and do a search for that. most are made by realtek though, so you can just type realtek into your search bar and find it that way)

go into that and select 6channel configuration for 5.1ch speakers. click ok.

Not sure if you have to restart your computer for that change or not, but wouldnt be any harm in doing so. Or you can just test the audio and see if its working, if not restart.

Now the downside is you can use line in and mic inputs, so you will need to use like a usb mic.

• 4 years ago

Alienware X5

• 8 years ago

Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with WAVES MAXX Audio (Standard)

"http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd

Since 4.1 all computers will play surround sound.

• 4 years ago

The X51 does not have outfitted-in audio equipment the different guy or woman answering is incorrect. you will desire headphones, ear buds, or exterior audio equipment to pay attention any audio from the equipment.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.