Please help English speech?

I am doing a speech for my English class and I need a hook to relate my topic to the class. My speech is about how the unlimited appeals available to criminals on death row allows them to escape their death for year and cost taxpayers a lot of $.

Most people are just using a question and I would also like to do this. One person used this "so does anybody in here like the beaches" and had people raise their hand and then went on to talk about how off shore drilling is bad for beaches. I would like to do something along these lines.

Also I need some sort of way to say what they can do to help fix the appeal process.

(I am doing this based on Monroe's motivated sequence so if you know what that is then go off that please)

Also this is a high school class not really adults so relate it to them

from my personal experience in being in a communications class, my teacher frowns upon using questions.... so i wouldnt really go that rout.... thats just ONE opinion though...

if i were you, for your specific topic i would start your speech with a statistic. something factual like

_______, this is the number of how many people are sentenced to death row, receive appeals and escape their responsibility to pay for the crimes they were convicted of.

About costs and the death penalty.

Study after study has found that the death penalty is much more expensive than life in prison. The process is much more complex than for any other kind of criminal case. The largest costs come at the pre-trial and trial stages. These apply whether or not the defendant is convicted, let alone sentenced to death.

Examples- trial costs (death penalty and non death penalty cases, California):

People v. Scott Peterson, Death Penalty Trial

$3.2 Million Total

People v. Rex Allen Krebs Death Penalty Trial

$2.8 Million Total

People v. Cary Stayner, Death Penalty Trial

$2.368 Million Total

People v. Robert Wigley, Non-Death Penalty Trial

$454,000 Total

This data is for cases where the best records have been kept.

Some factors:

• more pre-trial time will be needed to prepare: cases typically take a year to come to trial

• more pre-trial motions filed and answered

• more experts will be hired

• twice as many attorneys will be appointed for the defense, and a comparable team for the prosecution

• jurors must be individually quizzed on their views about the death penalty, and they are more likely to be sequestered

• two trials instead of one will be conducted: one for guilt and one for punishment

• the trial will be longer: a cost study at Duke University estimated that death penalty trials take 3 to 5 times longer than typical murder trials

The numbers vary from state to state, but they all point in the same direction. From a fairly typical state study of the costs of the death penalty:

“The study counted death penalty case costs through to execution and found that the median death penalty case costs $1.26 million. Non-death penalty cases were counted through to the end of incarceration and were found to have a median cost of $740,000. For death penalty cases, the pre-trial and trial level expenses were the most expensive part, 49% of the total cost. The investigation costs for death-sentence cases were about 3 times greater than for non-death cases. The trial costs for death cases were about 16 times greater than for non-death cases ($508,000 for death case; $32,000 for non-death case).” (Kansas: Performance Audit Report: Costs Incurred for Death Penalty Cases: A K-GOAL Audit of the Department of Corrections)

Speeding up the process carries risks. For the now 141 people (that we now know about) who were wrongly convicted and sentenced to death, the average time between sentencing and exoneration was just under 10 years. Speed up the process will guarantee the execution of people for crimes they didn't commit.