About how hard is it to find a job in today's economy?

I admit it; I'm a sheltered college student. I haven't worked since 2009 when I worked as a groundskeeper and had to quit. Since I've been out of the workforce for a few years, I wanted to know if it's become any easier to find work in today's economy.

I have a BA math/minor physics and my best option is probably as a computer programmer.

I don't really think it's that much easier. But what people don't understand is it depends on several things--their work experience, what field they're looking in, where they live, how well their resume is written and organized, interview skills. It sounds like you don't have much work experience, and that's probably the biggest thing that would hurt you. I'd really advise finding at least a part-time job while you're in college and/or doing internships to have something more recent to put on a resume. I struggled most to find a job after I left school. Since finding my first job out of school, I haven't had that many problems finding subsequent jobs. I found that a lack of work experience and my resume were the biggest issues for me. Once I improved my resume and how it was written and got a year of work experience, I was fine.

• n2mama

That depends 100% on your field and qualifications. I am a quality assurance manager at a food packaging company, and not only have I never had a problem finding a job, I am struggling to find qualified people to hire. My husband, on the other hand, is a senior graphic designer with over 15 years of experience, and knows a lot of very qualified designers who can't find work. The struggle you are likely to have is that you will be competing for jobs with people who have a lot more experience than you do and are also out of work. The advantage you have is that you should be a cheaper hire for a potential employer because of your lack of experience.

Some areas are doing well, but others are hurting. It really depends on your degree. If it's in liberal arts, go ahead and start applying to Target or Starbucks, because unemployment/underemployment is through the roof. If, however, you're studying accounting, finance, or economics, your prospects are much better.

For your own sake, don't go to law school if your other options don't pan out. 45% unemployment for new law grads. That's not a typo. Forty-five percent of new law grads don't have jobs. Business school is faster, cheaper, easier, and offers better employment prospects for the time being. Oh, and don't do med school. PA school would be better.

if your desired field is something in technology, engineering, or healthcare, you will have no problems finding a job, because these fields actually have a shortage of workers. For most other fields... good luck.