Nora
Nora asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Does This Sound Good For My Comet Goldfish?

So, I have four comet goldfish. I plan on getting a 150 gallon tank, and double filtration ( Maybe a bit more. I plan on going 150 gallon filtration and adding more as I go, so they get a nice, big tank faster :) ). Would sand work for the bottom? I read gravel can be bad :) I also plan on adding some decor ( live plants, large rocks that stand up, etc. ). Can you suggest some good stuff for adult comets? Thanks! :D

Ro: I know. And I know many large ones are fine, but from what I see it can get stuck in their mouths. Yeah :P ok! ^-^ I don't mind. Ok :) I'll look into it! Thanks ^-^

Dan: Yeah. I see. But wouldn't a nice, soft sand work? I will :P I see.

Arsh: Yeah :/ It kinda confuses me. I think I'm just going to go with soft sand. Actually, the usual rule for tank size for large goldfish is 50 gallons for the first, 25 for every one after that.

• Dan M
    Favorite Answer

Sand or gravel are potential problems with goldfish. They love to root in the bottom and can injure their mouth on a fractured piece of gravel or on sharp sand. A bare bottom tank, no plastic or ceramic decor that fins or scales can get snagged on, and equipment placed so as not to trap the fish would be better than either gravel or sand bottoms.

Gold fish eat live plants, so get duckweed which you can grow elsewhere and keep adding it to their tank. Duckweed is much better than peas or zucchini are preventing swim bladder disorder.

Java fern and Anubias are tough leaved plants that you can glue to round rocks with the same adhesive that reef keepers use to glue delicate coral animals onto artificial bases. Normally freshwater aquarists would use rubber bands or sewing thread to tie them on but that will not work with goldfish. Boston Aqua Farms Colored Reef Glue is a good brand.

http://saltycritter.com/coral-fragging-supplies/fr...

About the only safe decor is large round rocks that have been cut in half with a rock saw. I have a bunch of these I got from a rock hobbyist. There were dud geodes that he sawed in half only to find that they were nearly solid instead of filled with a crystal lined "cave". You lay them flat side down or glue them to the back of the tank.

Add on to your filtration later. A large sump and wet/dry filter under the tank or remotely located will work well. This can add another 150 gallons of water volume in the filtration system, allowing you to keep four of these fish in a tank normally only rated for two of them.

• Arshad

150 Gallons sound great for 4 comet fish. I don't know about the sand and gravel thing. I use gravel for my goldfish aquarium and it works good. I don't know what you mean about adult comets, but 4 adult comets would either need a large pond or a 300 gallon aquarium with double to triple filtration.

Source(s): Experience.