Upgrade to DIRECTV Genie for existing customer?

I have had DIRECTV for 10+ years now and want to upgrade my HD DVR. My DVR is the HR22 model but want to upgrade to the Genie for free. I want to know how to do this.

Favorite Answer

If you have had your equipment for more than 2 years and have not signed a new contract in that time you may be able to upgrade for free. It depends on a lot of factors, DIRECTV uses really complex software to try to figure out who is eligible.

Call 1-800-DIRECTV and ask them, and if you don't get the answer you want, politely get off the phone and try the next day. If you don't get a "yes" after 5 tries the answer is probably "no."

my wife got talked into it. Big mistake. You lose EVERYTHING on anything that you have taped. ALSO, I had my line to the kitchen split so I could take the TV in the back yard and watch it out there while the tv in the kitchen still worked. That is gone as well. I wished that Genie never existed. Everything was fine. OH I CAN now record 5 shows at once where before I was limited to only 2. Big deal. IF there are 3 shows on at once you want to watch, I feel sorry for you.