ugh
ugh asked in Society & CultureHolidaysHanukkah · 8 years ago

Hannukah/Chanukah/Chanuka/Chanukkah?

I understand that they mean the same thing, but are they pronounced different? Do certain groups or regions have a preference?

• Steve
    Favorite Answer

Personally I prefer Khanukah

The KH signifying the guttural KH

like arabic Akhmed

Feivel's answer is good... the spelling to me, does not really matter... Hannukah, Chanukah, Chanuka, Chanukkah all are English intrepretations to the original Hebrew.

Hanukkah: non-Jewish spelling, I've seen it more than the Jewish spelling. The "H" is pronounced like, well, an "H" like in "Holiday" or "Hero".

Chanukah: Jewish spelling, a lot of people don't use this one when writing (for example, on my calendar it uses the first spelling). The "Ch" is pronounced almost like coughing, which a lot of Jews learn how to pronounce early on in Hebrew School or Synagogue (Jewish church, if you will). Whatever you might hear, it isn't a "K" sound, like "Kangaroo" or "Kettle" but a sound that comes from the back of your throat, used in Hebrew words and prayers. This sound is made by the letter "Chet" (ח), and you really need to hear the noise before you understand how it sounds.

Source(s): Jew
  • Feivel

Some people pronounce it with a soft H as in the H in "Happy" and some people use a a hard CH which is a a sound incorporating the vibration of the uvula while exhaling, pushing air up out of the throat.

I have only seen it spelled Hanukkah or Chanukah. And it is either pronounced with an H sound or with a sort of coughing-like "k" sound....

• Melkha

There is no direct letter for letter exchange from Hebrew to English, so the words are written phonetically.

We have counted 14 ways to spell Kanukkakh

• Nope. I personally spell it Hannukkah, just to be different and annoy people, but it was origianlly a Hebrew word so there are different spellings and even pronunciations. 'H' is a regualar h but 'Ch' is more gutteral.