How was Tien able to constantly knock down almost perfect Cell?

I mean he was super weak compared to Cells 2nd form. His Tri Beam attack kept pushing Cell back into the hole.

And I know 16 is stronger than 17. But how is the question. Cause 17 looked at the computer and showed 16 was weaker than 17. Im guessing it read his energy at the time when Gero last shut him down, and that 16 can fluxuate his power.

I have watched the DBZ series about 5 times from the vegeta sega to the Buu sega.

Thanks for the answers. I dont know who to give the best answer too cause they all helped. I have seen the DBZ anime about 5 full times from season 1-9. My favorite seasons are 3, 5, 6, 8, 9. I like all of DBZ but mostly these seasons.

Reason I asked this now is cause I am rewatching DBZ again. It is my favorite anime of all time.

Favorite Answer

Well, I think it has something to do with him being a trained martial artist. Yes, you are right. It never should have worked that way. But EVERY anime has some plot hole.

Tien's improved Tri-Beam multiplied his ki output, allowing him to temporarily stall Cell at the cost of draining his life force.

As for your other question, either 17 scanned outdated numbers or 16's true power was concealed.

• Hiei

Because Tien trains very hard and he powered up to his max and drained some of his life force while using the Neo Tri-Beam attack. Tien is actually pretty strong.

Cell was first caught off guard and when tien launched his tri beam cell couldn't handle it and he was flying head first so it would have been more effective.