Glasspack for a 1986 F150?

I have a 1986 F150, I was wondering if I would need to buy the whole Glasspack muffler kit or if I could just buy the tip.

Favorite Answer

Exhaust tips are decorative. They really don't provide any type of muffler capabilities by themselves, though there are some resonators out there that can be inserted into tips.

The first thing you need to do is determine if your truck has stock exhaust. Typically work trucks like these came with a V8, two exhaust manifolds that would join together for a single exhaust system. If this is the case, then you will need one glasspack (if that's in fact what you want). If there are two mufflers or glasspacks...in other words, you have a dual exhaust system, then you will need two (if you are wanting to replace what's there now).

The next thing you will need to know is the diameter of the exhaust inlet tube for the existing muffler or glasspack. This is important because mufflers and glasspacks come in different diameters for different size exhaust systems. A stock exhaust may be 2.25 or 2.50 diameter, where if the truck has previously had an exhaust upgrade, it could be a 3.00 diameter system.

Two recommendations:

1) Stop by a local exhaust shop. Don't be afraid. Tell them: I'm on a tight budget and looking to get an inexpensive turbo muffler or glasspack to update my truck. Can you take a look and tell me what I'll need and give me an estimate?

They should be able to tell you if you have a single or dual exhaust setup and what the diameter is. If you are on a really tight budget, ask the if you can do some work around the shop to help pay for the installation. You never know, they may need some work moving boxes, cleaning up, etc.

2) Check youtube and do a search like: 198* f150 exhaust

You can refine that search with glasspack or muffler. Lots of people post video/sound clips of their exhaust systems and this may give you a chance to listen to several and decide what sound you like best.

Have fun!

Aaron

to answer your question more specifically, if you need a new muffler, or wish to change the sound of the truck, then you need the muffler. You don't need to buy an entire exhaust kit, the muffler can be purchased separately. The tip is just for a nicer look. It can also be purchased separately. You just need to make sure that the pipes you want to attach them too are in good shape, if they're pooched then the kit should have all the parts required to replace the exhaust from the 'Y' pipe back.

• silman

might want to be the spark plug wires, debree contained in the spark plugs or they received't be gapped acceptable or it will be the carb or the between the valves. it may desire to be like 2 to three stages earlier precise lifeless middle. have you ever retarded it even as that is operating. you'll listen a change in engine sound with it operating even as retarding or advancing the dis. 10 stages does type of appear as if its somewhat a lot. both that or the timing chain is slipping off. Or it will be the firing order. i desire this helps.