Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 8 years ago

What are my chances of flying in Air Force after AFROTC?

My goal in life is to first serve my country and then become a commercial pilot.

I will begin AFROTC in January.

I am transferring to a 4 year undergraduate university with an aviation science major.

This major allows me to fly 4 times a week at a local airport.

By the time I graduate I will have received my private license, instrument rating, commercial license, multi engine rating, and CFI.

I am very fortunate to be able to fly in a four year college program.

I will be a cadet in the AFROTC as well.

My dream is to fly fixed wing in the military, does being in this flight program as a major better my chances of flying in the Air Force, or is it all based off solely ROTC?

Favorite Answer

Statistically, you have about an 8% chance of being selected for military flight training and passing all the selection criteria, and making it through flight training to earn your military wings. Having a PPL wouldn't hurt, but as a rule the military does not recruit pilots with more significant experience than that because the military way is not the civilian way and it is hard to break ingrained habits.

Even if they did prefer applicants with a CPL, if you do not graduate in the top 5% of your class and aren't physically in the top 5% of your peers, and you don't ace the AFOQT on the first try, and if you don't get a top recommendation from your ROTC commandant, your chances are slim to none. There are thousands of applicants every year. Only a few hundred get selected and about 20% wash out after being selected.

And, while you are indeed lucky to be able to afford to fly in a 4 year college degree program, if you cannot fly in the future for some reason (medical issues, violations, accidents, little or no hiring of pilots due to the economy, etc) you're going to wish like hell you had a real college degree that could employ you. A professional pilot degree is more or less useless for getting a decent paying job outside of being a pilot. and, despite all the propaganda to the contrary that is put pout by aviation colleges, "professional pilot" type degrees also do not give the vast majority of airline applicants any edge whatsoever in getting hired,

So, if you don't make it as a military pilot you won't be any more competitive in the job market than anyone else, and you will have lost the 4 year head start you could have gotten.

I wish you the best of luck with everything, but it's usually unwise to put all your eggs in one basket, as they say. Life has a way of throwing us curveballs, knuckleballs, sinkers and other junk pitches, so what is your backup scenario if you strike out and things don't go according to your "plan"?

• The United States Marine Corps ROTC program is an excellent way to receive training and to get funding for your education. It is a method of a person to receive a college education and also to earn a commission in the Marine Corps as a 2nd lieutenant.... and if you're looking for a marines corps fixed wing pilot career within the MAGTF of MEU...???

First, you must be an officer. You must also be a U.S. citizen. Intelligence, vision and physical fitness are all vital to become a pilot. If this becomes your path, you will attend flight school where your specialized training will take place in phases....

Did you consider asking your counselors that processed your application to AFROTC?