Dance major for College?

if i choose dancing as my major ... do i already have to know how to dance or will i be taught??

I'm in 10th grade & i'm still unsure of what i want major for college to be but i'm really interested in dancing but i've never taken any dance classes. (my parents couldn't pay)

• drip
    Favorite Answer

You need to have natural talent and training.

You are required to audition for the dance department in order to major or minor in dance and be accepted academically into the school. You need a good base in ballet.

College dance classes do not start at the beginning level for majors or minors.. At my daughter's school only dance majors/minors are allowed to take any dance class. most dance majors have been dancing for years.

Some colleges do offer dance classes for non dance majors.

• MM

Majoring in dance is supposed to prepare you for a career in it. You can't have a career in dance without years of training, and even then it's so competitive that most people don't make it. If you want to learn, there will probably be clubs you can participate in or classes for non-majors if the school has a program, but you won't be able to study it seriously without any experience.

You won't learn dancing at college! A degree in dance? That's a waste of tuition!

Schedule an appointment with your high school guidance counselor.