If you are currently going through the legal process Probate?

I've been going through probate for my grandmothers will for about six months now and the lawyer just informed me that there were letters addressed to my sister and I specifically in a safety deposit box, is it right for her to withhold these envelopes even though they are personally addressed to us?

If the letter is addressed to both then you need to know the details in it. You can ask the lawyer about the details in the envelopes.

She needs to know what is in the letters to determine if it an asset that needs to be reported. For example the envelope could contain a lot of cash or the the directions to some hidden bank account, etc.

• The lawyer should not be keeping the letters from you, but would have to examine them in case they provide information about an asset or a debt he or she was unaware of.

Source(s): Several years working as a probate paralegal.
  • Edward

If she is the executor she can do what she thinks best.