Development of the Holy Bible (Protestant Canon)?

I'm going to need to write a 1 page essay on the Development of the Holy Bible (Protestant Canon.) If you could give me an outline or some talking points that would be much appreciated.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Most Church Fathers regarded the Septuagint as the standard form of the Old Testament. When the Councils of Hippo (393 AD) and Carthage (397 AD) set the canon of the New Testament they also confirmed the Septuagint as the Old Testament. Further evidence of the Septuagint's acceptance by the early Church can be found in the New Testament itself.

It quotes the Old Testament approximately 350 times.

Three hundred of those quotes are from the Septuagint.

Surely this amounts to an overwhelming endorsement by the early Church.

The Church set the canon of Scripture, and she did so under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Just as God worked infallibly through men in writing the Bible, He worked infallibly through men in communicating exactly which books comprised it.

And so the canon stood. Unchanged until the Protestant Reformation when Martin Luther threw out the seven Deuterocanonicals because they contradicted his new doctrines. He also wanted to throw out Hebrews, James, 2 Peter, 2 and 3 John, Jude, and Revelation.

In Revelation 22:19 the apostle John proclaims, "If any one takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."

It's true that this verse refers to the book of Revelation.

However, common sense tells us that the same principal should apply to all of Scripture.

Certainly God would never be pleased with us tampering with any part of His word.

• 8 years ago

There is no "Protestant Canon" of the Holy Bible. Martin Luther came along in the 16th century and ripped out 7 books he did not agree with. The Holy Bible was compiled,preserved, the New Testament was writtne by, and it was canonized by Jesus Christ's Catholic Church in the 4th century under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Catholic Christian †

• thonen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

some denominations have faith that the particularly some books that is in different denominations Bibles weren't divinely stimulated so while they compiled the books mutually they have been given rid of the books they felt that way approximately. Getting church homes to agree on a unified Bible could be like commencing a sparkling holy conflict. i'm specific there are places on the information superhighway the place you're able to desire to purchase those varies variations of the Bible yet I even have not carried out the hunt myself. some people even have the particularly some books available online for examining for loose. in simple terms attempt searching for Bibles or the particular Bible you're searching for and that i'm specific you will discover one.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

there is no protestant canon, and don't believe the false doctrine that catholics added the extra books of the apocrypha , the proof can be found in the gutenberg bible, the very first printed edition almost a century before protestantism started , it contains the full 73 books, not your 66 books

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.