Are all Catholics against birth control?

If so, why? If not, why? What if the pill, for example, is used for a medical reason (acne, PMS, menorrhagia, etc.)?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1. All Catholics are *supposed* to be against it, but many prefer to go along and get along than to stand up for what's right and true.

2a. There are multiple reasons why Catholics should oppose birth control. For one thing, it's a partial rejection between the couple during the act that is supposed to be 100% unifying. Contraception says, "I want the pleasure of your sex, but I reject your fertility." Even if it's mutual between the couple, that's wrong because in a marriage, we're supposed to accept 100% of our partners, not 90% (everything but the fertility).

2b. Contraception also has a negative impact on society by reducing sex to a physical act of pleasure - like a hug or a handshake. That means people don't take it seriously any more, and if you know anything about the hook-up culture among the younger generations, you'll see that's true. And that means people are using each other for sex, which is especially bad for women, because when we are used just for sex, it hurts our minds and hearts and sets us up for abandonment and abortion when the birth control fails and we're not in stable relationships set up for parenting.

2c. A third reason *all* people should oppose hormonal contraception is that it's very unhealthy for women. Any medication that takes a healthy part of your body and makes it unhealthy should be suspect, and that's exactly what contraception does - takes a woman's healthy fertility organs and renders them (temporarily) infertile. If you read the side effects of these prescriptions, you'll see that the pill and other hormonal contraceptions cause cardiovascular and liver disease, deadly blood clots, gall bladder failure, and other serious problems. They shorten our lives - not the lives of our partners, and that's a terrible disparity. What kind of man will let his wife/girlfriend take all the physical risks of contraception just so he can get his jollies without fear of parenthood?

2d. Catholics should also oppose hormonal contraception because it could cause abortions. If you read the pill manufacturer's information on what it does, you'll see it works in one of three ways. It either prevents an egg from being released into the woman's system or it creates a hostile environment for sperm (both of which are contraception) OR it prevents the embryo from implanting in the woman's womb, which is abortifacient. Trouble is, a woman can't tell which of the three is happening on any given month. That's a risk that no Catholic couple should be willing to take.

2e. Finally, Catholics should oppose contraception (all forms) because it's a very serious sin, and we're supposed to flee from sin.

3. The pill can be used to treat medical conditions without committing a sin. However, couples would still need to practice periodic abstinence to prevent the abortifacient aspect of the pill. And all women should know that the pill is frequently prescribed NOT to cure our medical conditions but to MASK THE SYMPTOMS. In other words, doctors just give us the Pill to get us to shut up. It's archaic, really, how far behind women's medicine is compared to treatment for men. We women should insist on getting a CURE for our problems, and that's hardly ever the Pill. Acne can be cured in many different ways. PMS and menorrhagia and things like PCOS require hormonal treatment, but they can be cured with systems developed within NAPRO Technology, rather than just masking the symptoms with the Pill.

• 8 years ago

Catholics are against birth control and not secondary uses of medication. God bless!

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

• ?
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

The older generation of Catholics believe that sex is supposed to be used for creating life, and not just for pleasure. Younger people, as I have observed, tend to be more accepting of birth control within a marriage.

The pill being used for medical reasons is different than using it for sexual reasons.

Source(s): I have a Catholic mom.
  • no
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

True Catholics ARE because that is Catholic Doctrine. IF they oppose it, they are protesting the church, regardless of the church not having balls enough to tell them or not. If they are against DOCTRINE of the church, they are PROTESTANTS! Its a simple definition of the terms.

As for Abortion, then it is stronger, If they are pro-abortion, they are de-facto excommunicated whether the church has balls enough to tell them or not.

I am not a Catholic, nor even a Christian, but I believe that they god exists. No matter HOW weak-kneed some of the modern church leaders are, their god knows what HE ordered them to do and not to do.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

<<Are catholics still against birth control?>> Catholics always have and always will be against artificial birth control. <<Isnt it 2012 <snip> live in texas.>> They're not Catholic. They excommunicate themselves by virtue of their use of artificial birth control. Besides, it's not as if something morally wrong somehow inexplicably becomes morally right if enough people do it. <<Most arent against <snip> paying a premium.>> Premium or not premium, use of artificial birth control, as a means to it's intended end, is morally wrong. <<Thats like me <snip> covered for infections.>> That's ridiculous. Try and figure out the moral difference between penicillin and artificial birth control. <<that must be <snip> judge you himself>> But you're NOT allowing God to judge you Himself, not when you're not part of organized religion, especially God's One True Holy and Catholic Church.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

If they had any sense they would be. According to many studies, birth control can harmfully deteriorate the health of the mother. Not only that, but it's not even that effective.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Birth_Control

The safest and most effective form of birth control is abstinence. FACT.

• MeMeMe
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Actually most Catholics I know (for the record, I live in Europe) disagree with their church on many issues, whether it's about premarital sex, divorce, birth control or homosexuality.

• God
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The Roman Catholic Church is against birth control. Thank goodness, Roman Catholic women are using birth control anyway.

• 8 years ago

you said for "medical reason"

why do we take medicine?

cause we have a disease, disorder or sickness..

is being pregnant a disease, disorder or sickness??

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Catholic beliefs are a total hodge podge and a mess. The great majority do not believe what the pope says and do whatever they want to anyway. They don't have the courage to either leave the church or believe something rational

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.