S asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Good & Humane Bark Collar?

We have a small (8 lb) Chihuahua Mix who barks non-stop. We have tried citronella collars and shock collars, both of which have failed in the long run. The cirtonella collar was empty witnin an hour and the bark collar almost made her bleed. The thing is she howls and freaks out for almost any sound she hears. Any advice besides walking her?

• Shawn
    Favorite Answer

Try a Thundershirt. Some of our clients have had excellent success with it for thunderstorm fear. I think it could work for other kinds of stress/fear/anxiety. Or try getting another dog to keep her company. Hopefully both dogs wouldn't then be barking nonstop! : )

Shock collar and bark collars all work the same way.....;pain. There is a vibration collar, but if the shock collar didn't work, neither will the vibration collar. You might try this;

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/barking.html

If that doesn't work, I suggest finding a good obedience trainer and working with them. I can't see how walking could have any effect upon her barking. Seldom is it caused from lack of exercise.

Source(s): competition obedience trainer Behavior Consultant
  • Olivia

A tired dog is a good dog. How much exercise is she getting? I would suggest doubling that for a while and seeing if that helps.

• Trixie

Exercise and training are the humane methods.