Are near death experiences real?

Scientist say they aren't but the people that had them say they are. So who do you believe the people that had them or people that try to explain them?

Favorite Answer

My plan is to wait and find out for myself, first hand, for just this reason.

The problem with NDEs is that you can't believe all of them. Members of different religions meet different gods and receive different messages. The Christian who believes in the Jesus NDEs has to say that the lady who said Heaven looked really boring was just hallucinating. So if you're admitting that some of them are hallucinations, how do you know that the ones you believe in aren't hallucinations too?

If all these people have genuine experiences, there are quite a few contradictory afterlives.

1. Near death experiences are the result of a brain shutting down due to lack of oxygen.

2. We know how to induce one artificially using ketamine.

3. People mostly see what they expect to see - hence people of different religions have different experiences.

4. A few people, though, have made quite a bit of money from NDE claims.

5. An in-depth article: http://skepdic.com/nde.html

• Rocky

I've had several where I was declared Dead, they are real, Because some things I saw then I know just as the sun rises, and they came true, and I say people I met 7 years later after moving from the west coast to the east and the people were born and raised in the east one never traveled more than 150 miles from where she was born...so does that seem real enough? It sure is for me, I told her go see Dr and she's a cancer survivor

I have seen the death experiences from three people. It's weird knowing they died and came back with different stories. It's also amazing that Doctor's want people to stay with a loved one who is dying because even when they start mottling, they can still hear. The senses are the last to go.

Protestant Nazarene

They don't mean anything, but the hallucinations themselves are real, I guess. It's just the brain going apeshit as a result of a lack of oxygen. It's like dreaming, pretty much, in the respect that...it's just...crap, basically. It's not significant brain activity.

• Ryan

Yes, they are real in the sense that people do in fact have them. However, whether it is really your spirit leaving your body or hallucinations due to oxygen deprivation, nobody can say for sure.

If you can tolerate the pottymouth, Penn & Teller explain it, with the help of a few real scientists.

Yes, real near.

NDE's are easily explained by brain chemistry.