Religions and their (American) Political Affiliations?

I want to start by saying that I am fully and completely aware that everyone is their own person and that religion does not dictate political affiliation.

That being said, I was thinking about this the other day, because we do typically associate Christians and Catholics with the Republican party in the US (again, I have many Catholic friends who are Democrats, but I'm just talking about this idea on a general scale).

If that's the case, is there a strong relationship between other religions and political parties? For example, are people of Jewish faith more Republican or Democratic?

Thank you for your answers and thoughts (no hate posts, please).

Favorite Answer

Jews are liberals man. They always vote for the Left except this year Obama got less votes from them because of all the Israel Firsters. In Israel they vote more right though, like Netanyahu, who is pretty far-right nationalist.

Muslims are all Muslim Caliphate Firsters/Israel haters so they liked Ron Paul but then switched to Obama.

Nut bag Christians, like evangelicals, will almost always vote for the Republican , unless the Republican is atheist, Muslim,or homosexual. Other Christians will vote more independently. JW's don't vote at all.

All other religions don't vote, vote third party, or choose the lesser of all evils.

Usually Monotheism (belief there is only one GOD) is associated with liberals who are associated with Democrats. The thing is you are right to think it shouldn't be associated with either. I know Christians and other monotheistic people who will be either party and many who have gone to the Tea Party, independent party, the constitution party. It doesn't matter what religion you belong to anymore, it is what way you want this country to go. Personally I would rather see less government intervention and more self reliance. I think that if the feds brought out the blue dollar it might jump start this country back on track, but that is my opinion.

I'm Orthodox Christian, and we agree with Catholics on many issues. I'm a Populist, because I cannot stand the way the democrats have basically become socialistic and anti-faith and I can't stand the republican party either for the way they leave the common man and the down and out to dry, how they oppose abortion and yet oppose support systems for women who keep their babies. it's despicable.

Source(s): Orthodox Christian, Pro-Life, American, fed up with BOTH major parties
  • Sherri

Fundy christians and mormons USUALLY vote republican because of homosexual marrige, but thats all I know.

And twinkle toez, I have a good friend that is a muslim and he voted for romney. A lot of muslims voted republican.

Source(s): Thats a generalization btw.

they are genuinely Roman Catholic in Nicaragua even if the difficulty is with the militant Sandinistas, they are extreme leftists. the biggest difficulty is that he's American and is perceived and a "rich, functional American". that's type conflict. huge numbers of detrimental there.

I am a Christian. I am a registered Democrat but I am also a conservative leaning moderate. I like progress but I do not want our moral core destroyed.

I am agnostic and I won't vote. I don't want to be a part of the decision making process. I'm just along for the ride.

Orthodox Christian- I tend to lean libertarian on most issues.

Jews are corrupt as a religion; though remnants of the truth remain.

57 For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.

58 And the earth shall be given unto them for an inheritance; and they shall multiply and wax strong, and their children shall grow up without sin unto salvation.

• ?

Muslims voted overwhelmingly vote Obama.

Hmm. I wonder why.