Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 years ago

Would I be liable for criminal negligence?

***THIS IS SIMPLY HYPOTHETICAL FOR A CLASS***

So would I be liable for CN if I tell a person to kill themselves and they actually do it?

Situation: A person aggravated verbally and I respond "Just do society a favor, kill yourself" and walk off. (There is absolutely NO physical contact nor any type of assault/battery) The next day the 'victim' is found dead from suicide. Their parents wants to find me liable for CN since manslaughter is not possible in this case.

What do you think?

• Favorite Answer

There are very few instances where a person can be found criminally responsible for actions taken because of their words. This is not one of these instances. You are free to tell someone to kill themselves, and will not face any civil or criminal liability for doing so.

Source(s): Years working as a paralegal.

I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing not, as you haven't given them the means to take their own life, only a motive.

If you tell a person to kill themselves and they do it, its there fault. You didn't force them too.

Its a felony to aid or assist in a suicide