how do i know when a desktop CPU uses SATA or IDE hard drive when there is no hard drive?

the CPU has no hard drive.i don know which type of hard drive was last in it

I want to get a new one but i don't know which hard drive it uses, SATA or IDE .If you can a give a youtube link to help explain that would be great thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago

Look on the motherboard. A wide connector with 40 pins and a ribbon cable is IDE. An L-shaped connector with a red/orange cable about 1cm wide is SATA. Older computers tend to have IDE, newer computers usually have both IDE and SATA. If there is both, you should use SATA because it is a lot faster.

Source(s): I work with computer hardware
  • D McC
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

if it has a big wide grey ribbon cable hanging loose at the bottom of the case it uses an ide hard drive, if there is no free ribbon cable and on the board it will have sata connectors usually named such as sata1 and sata2 etc it will use sata hard drives, some boards can use either, if you have the choice get sata

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Look at the connections on the board. It will have small black SATA ports marked SATA0, SATA1, SATA2 and so on if it has SATA at all. Most current boards do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.