lalala
lalala asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 years ago

Would there be less suicide if...?

People didn't believe in heaven? Like I feel like a lot of people commit suicide because their life sucks and they think that once they die, they will go to heaven and everything would be better. But what if you believed nothing happened? Wouldn't you be less likely to end your life?

And when some one dies or commits suicide, people often say stuff like "they're in a better place now."

Well that would make people want to be there... Like I get they're trying to be kind, but if we didn't make such a big deal about heaven, don't you think people wouldn't commit suicide as much?

I'm not trying to attack any beliefs or say one side is right or wrong, it's just an honest question, I just want to hear some other view points.

Favorite Answer

Personally, I don't think that matters. When people are to the point where they commit suicide even if they don't know where they're going they'll do anything to get out of the situation they're in no matter what. They feel like this place is so miserable that there's no way anything could be worse. I am going to be a hundred percent honest, I've had suicidal thoughts. Not in awhile. I've straightened my life out now and I look back and can't believe I ever thought of suicide, but I do know how it feels and what goes through there minds. I never once thought, well heaven must be better. I thought this place is horrible. Some people may think that way though, I don't know.

Being a Christian, I was taught that ending ones own life was a ticket only to Hell. I want to kill myself, seeing as how I have major depression, but I know I will not act on my desires BECAUSE of my religion. I don't regret being Christian and I don't regret staying alive because of it. If I would have killed myself, I would not have the friends I do today.

• Naguru

First let me keep this house in order. Whoever, comes here, I try to convince to the best of my knowledge and ability. It all depends on individuals obedience to listen to good words of advice.

In future, reject out-rightly all unwanted, negative, poor, weak, bad, wrong or evil thoughts, ideas or feelings. Nurture only healthy and wise thoughts.

Source(s): compiled.