Halfy asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Fish debris measurement?

Is it possible to figure out how many grams of fish waste was left after 2 weeks in a 1.5 gallon tank from 1 fish? If so, what method can i use? If going to mention siphoning, remember im asking how to measure the amount of waste, so please mention that also and not just how to siphon a small tank.

Revised: There is waste in my tank. I want to measure how much is in it. Is there a way to measure how much fish waste is in my tank? I dont see why any additional information is needed. Its simply out of curiosity that I want to know if I can measure the amount of fish waste. I dont mean to sound rude, but I just want a straightforward answer. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

OK, lets assume you can get the fish waste all in one spot. A 1.5g tank is small enough that propping it up at a small angle will be a big help - let gravity and internal water circulation help you. Obviously you need a bare bottom tank. You'll want to minimize solid waste getting caught in the filter, so cut the filter flow rate down as far as possible.

Note: The fish waste will be wet (obviously) so there can be dry weight and wet weight. If you have a chemical test kit (ie API, etc..) the test tube have a volumetric line at 5ml. This may be useful as a receptacle to allow an estimate of volume, if so desired.

OK, If you have a long straw (ie 7-11 Slurpee/Double-Glup style) you can hold your thumb over the top, put the straw into the water so the bottom end is just over the debris. When you remove your thumb the water (and debris in the area will be sucked up - but it will also tend to fall down quickly, so use a finger to cover the bottom. Taping two straws together may help.

Alternatively, you could also use a turkey baster. After the debris is sucked in, if you lift the baster slowly while continuing to "unsqueze" the bulb slowly, the additional incoming water will keep the waste from coming out as easily and give you more time to cover the bottom opening

Either way, practice a little before you try it. That way you'll get comfortable with the maneuver and be less likely to accidentally send fish water all over.

One extra note: If you want to go nuts, a more accurate method would be to use a 5 or 10 gallon tank, partially tilted, partially filled, with the small filter at the higher end. The larger water volume will let you throttle the flow down while keeping water quality up. You can put in a mesh screen (needlepoint/craft supply store) across the tank to keep the fish farther form the filter (therefore the waste farther from the filter inlet).

Source(s): BS Engineering, experience

1.5 gallon tank is too small and you didnt tell us what kind of fish it is

also the smaller the tank the more debris will be on the gravel also if you did put a filter it will either suck the debris to the filter