iPhone memory clean-up question?

My iPhone 4 (8gb) gave me a warning today when I tried to save a couple pictures. It said my memory was full and I couldn't save them. So I plugged the phone in to my computer to dump all the old pictures. When the utility opened, the bar-graph along the bottom said that I have 2.5 gigs of "other" What exactly is "other" and how can I have 2.5 gigs of undefinable crap in my phone? What is it and can I delete it?

TIA

Edit to add; There were four categories; Music, Apps, Photos, and Other. Wouldn't videos be grouped in the Photo category?

Plug it in to your computer, open iTunes, click on your iPhone, then click restore... When it's completed simply un plug it, or from the iPhone go in to settings, common, scroll to the backside and click on reset, then the second one from the highest says erase all content and settings click that and it deletes the whole thing.

• Sam

Get your videos off the phone, or uload some music ... that will take care of it, you don't have to have all of that on the phone.