How to become a better dancer(contemporary, lyrical, etc.)?

I used to do a lot of ballet before I quit because of school, since I didn't have enough time. This year, I started again doing it WITH school. Needless to say, I'm not a super awesome dancer anymore, but I know it's in there somewhere. My goal is to make it into advanced dance next year, but I need to start working for it now.

My plan is to spend time every day working on my flexibility and technique. Mostly flexibility. So, what kinds of daily stretches should I do to be able to do those splits and high kicks again? And what kinds of exercises will help me with my technique(mostly contemporary)? Thanks in advance :)

Favorite Answer

If you have a barre, barre stretches are excellent because they use your weight and balance to help you stretch. If you don't, just make sure you ease into floor stretches: killing yourself on the first day is only going to make you sore. Make sure you're stretching in a warm environment, or at least wear legwarmers to warm your muscles so they'll be nicer to you :) Also, stay in your stretches for a long time. I know I have a tendency to get antsy and want to move on but you'll get more of a stretch if you can stay in a position for at least a few minutes. Watching TV or something helps me not get bored.

As for contemporary technique, I've found lately that it's really important to listen to how your body wants to move. The best contemporary dancers look so natural and easy because they've found how their body naturally moves and exploited that, as opposed to trying to "dance contemporary" in a more rigid sense. You might try turning off the lights, covering the mirrors, and recording yourself just moving naturally to a piece of music. Then watch the recording back and look at parts you like and why you like them, and adapt that into a personal style you're comfortable with. Good luck!

Source(s): Dancer for 14 years, in apprentice program at Boston Ballet