Which caliber to pick .308 or .30-06?

I live in Missouri and want to deer hunt as well as just target shoot. I wondering if i should get a .308 because it has less ware and tear on the barrel, he ammo is cheaper, and can shoot all day or the .30-06 which is a more powerful bullet but its going to kill me shoulder after hours at the target range.

Favorite Answer

308 since you mention range.

308 and 30-06 are both great calibers but the 308 is more enjoyable and reasonable to shoot on a regular basis.

.308 is more than capable of handling anything on two or four legs in North America

Source(s): 35 years hunting and shooting experience
  • august

If you can't handle the recoil of a .30-06 Springfield, just go buy a Limbsaver recoil pad and add that to it. It will shoot with about the same amount of felt recoil as a .308 Winchester, and possibly even less.

While .308 Winchester is less expensive to feed if you have a good supply of inexpensive surplus 7.62x51mm NATO, .30-06 Springfield is capable of taking heavier bullet weights and using more powder, making it a more versatile cartridge. You can conceivably go after grizzly bear with a .30-06 Springfield, whereas a .308 Winchester is not quite up to the task, according to most. For what it's worth, I wouldn't take either for brown bear, but that's another story.

If you're just planning on deer hunting, and never intend to hunt anything larger than a whitetail or maybe an elk, .308 Winchester is a fine choice, too.

I don't know who told you that a .308 Win wears a barrel down slower than a .30-06 Springfield, but the difference is so minuscule that you will probably never wear out the barrel on either. It's the very high velocity cartridges like .22-250 Remington, .220 Swift, and the like that tend to be hard on barrels.

I'd suggest you consider finding someone who has a .30-06 Springfield who will let you shoot a round or two from it. You may be pleasantly surprised by it. As I said previously, a Limbsaver recoil pad will work wonders.

• They're pretty much 2 peas in a pod, the only thing the .308 has going for it is that ammo costs a little less.

• Al

If you are going to do lots of target shooting, I would go with 308.

I'd take the .308

* The .308 is your Best Choice for your purposes.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*..................Fly like an Eagle.*~~