How do I tell me dad I'm an atheist?

I live in New England with my mom and step-dad and my dad and step-mom lives in the south. My mom and step-dad know but no one else. My dad and step-dad go to church every sunday and when I visit I have to go to church with them. I visit them at christmas (1 week), in April (1 week), in July (1 month) and every other year in February (1 week). If, how and when should I tell them?

I meant my dad and step-mom go to church lol!

Never thought about it that way, Hogie.

Favorite Answer

My parents were pretty upset when I told them I didn't believe in God anymore.

I was pretty young.

You simply just tell them, they'll have to get over it.

Questioning your existence isn't wrong.

Just tell them that you'd rather question your existence than to follow what you're told.

You can also check out my website www.thelackof.com, i talk about existence etc a lot on there but it's a new website so right now there's not a TON of information.

Source(s): www.thelackof.com

The best way to do it is to invite on of your parents to a sort of lunch-date thing, and just bring it up in the conversation. Don't call yourself an atheist, as there is a certain stigma to the word. Just say you don't believe in god anymore. Also, I would definitely recommend reading Christopher Hitchens' books on atheism, they'll teach you a lot about the subject. Don't bring up any debate about religion with them, as it may get on their nerves.

Good luck!

Source(s): I was really worried, but when I told my parents, they had no problems with it...Except at first they thought I was joking.
  • Hogie

Why make matters worse for yourself? They don't need to know what your personal beliefs are.

I would point out to you this however. It is logically impossible to prove a negative, and by calling yourself an atheist, you are declaring a belief that cannot be proven. All you have is a "feeling" this is so, without any proper evidence. This in theology is called "blind faith". So you have blind faith there is no God, whereas many who do believe in God do so because they recognize credible evidence. There are also those who believe in God according to blind faith also.

So the logical question: How is your "faith" any more credible than their faith?

.

• Beau

You tell your dad you are an atheist, this way:

"Dad, I am an atheist."

That's all. It's that simple.

Just prepare for a long, involved conversation after that.

Enjoy!

Peace and Namaste!

Tell him you believe in Asatru first. Use it to show how ridiculous religion is.

Yo pops, I'm atheist. We still cool right?

"Hey dad, I'm an atheist."