Bert asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 8 years ago

What does real Chinese food taste like?

Why is Chinese food in America made so horribly? Do Chinese people actually eat this crap? Why do Koreans own Chinese restaurants? Why do Chinese restaurants use cornstarch when corn is from the new world?

I'm really curious to know this and would like to know why restaurants serve this when the people serving it wouldn't eat it themselves.

Favorite Answer

Bert-Sadly, this is what MOST of America expects Chinese food to be. Seriously, go to any big metropolitan city and go to an authentic Chinese restaurant and you will see items on the menu that you might recognize (but would be 20 times better than crap like Panda Express) and then there are things you've probably never even heard of...much less eaten like: Sea cucumber, oxtail, duck/chicken feet, pork kidney soup, fish maw soup, lotus roots, geoduck, fish head soup, salt fish fried rice, beef tendons. Now that is the far end of the spectrum of Chinese cooking and then sliding over to the right is the interpretation of Chinese American cooking. So, what you are comparing is like comparing authentic Mexican food like menudo, birria or posole' to Taco Bell. One on the far right and one on the far left...two extremes...one is completely American....end of story.

Source(s): I'm a personal chef.
  • The so-called 'Chinese' food in the US is a bastardization of a bastardization of 'real' ethnic cuisine in China. It's based loosely on Cantonese cuisine, originating from the immigrants in California.

The only reason why such foods exist is simply because the market exists for it: it's catered well to the US and European palate. I couldn't quite tell you what real Chinese cuisine is like as it spans such a wide range, but feel free to read Fuchsia Dunlop's books if you'd like an insight into specialized cuisines such as Szechuan or Hunan cuisines.

• strang

Rancid. Have you ever ever eaten at a 4 or 5 celebrity restaurant and ordered something you could get at a normal restaurant? If in case you have, that wouldn't even begin to describe the gigantic change in meals. I lived in china for 6 months, I left a buff man and when I got here again I used to be emaciated. I went on an eating binge as quickly as I obtained back. Jozua and bozua we're the one just right eats there. There was pizza hut and mcdonalds and with out them i might have died.

In reality most Chinese restaurants in the US are still owned by Chinese people. Some of them are owned by Koreans but not in the majority and you just so happen to live in that neighborhood. It makes sense that Korean operate Chinese restaurant because both cuisines share a lot of similarities.

Traditional Chinese recipes don't call for cornstarch but tapioca instead. But because American farmers receive government subsidy for growing corn, there used to be a lot of surplus of this product (before ethanol is used as fuel) and US businesses promoted aggressively cornstarch to Chinese markets. The use of cornstarch has stuck with many Chinese cooks nowadays.

The Chinese food you usually see has been adapted to suit the western palate. If you go into the Chinatown in the Bay Area, LA, Flushing NY, Chicago, you would be able to find authentic Chinese food that is ENTIRELY different, much less deep fried chicken nuggets and cooked with much less sugar. A few images of real Chinese food:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cantonese+cuisine+...

https://www.google.com/search?q=beijing+cuisine+im...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sichuan+cuisine+im...

Source(s): ..

chinese food taste really good. you should probably go to china and try them out

Tastes like indian food. Same sh*t.

Source(s): pHD in chink studies