How does plagiarism on college transcripts effect future employment?

How does "plagiarism" on your college records effect you?

I let a friend look at my paper to get an idea of what was expected. Unknowingly she would put my sentence in her paper. Foolish, I know. Now that its done, how will this effect me. I never wanted this on my records and never had the intentions of giving my answers away and letting someone copy. How will this effect future employment? Will many employers ask for college transcripts?

Favorite Answer

It would be a very bad effect because universities don’t normally go that far in penalizing a student unless the offense is particularly egregious and your attitude about it is belligerent. The normal penalty for plagiarism is an automatic failing grade on the assignment or, in worse cases, a failing grade in the class. When you get to the level of having the offense permanently affixed to your transcript, people know it must have been really bad.

Only once in my teaching career have I ever petitioned the student conduct committee for this maximum sanction. In graduate school, only once (to my knowledge) did a professor take such action against an undergraduate student.

• Jeremy

Many employers probably will want a college transcript and all graduate schools will. I'm not sure how they will view it, probably depends on what field your going into, but I doubt they will like the idea because it essentially labels you as a slacker, lying, cheater. Sorry it had to happen to you ive always been worried to let people look at my stuff for this reason. I would ask if it could be removed since you didn't copy it was the other way around.

This is very bad. Your college has ruined your employment chances in a bad economy. Your graduate school chances are also shot.

If your transgression was truly as minor as you describe it, you should see a lawyer about getting it taken out of your record. Once it is removed, quit the school before they can take revenge.

Normally, I'm all in favor of students suffering the consequences of bad behavior, but this appears to be a case of "zero tolerance" gone abusive.

Excellent answers

I don't think you committed plagiarism, nor did she. I think you have to be published to be plagiarised, though I could be wrong. There are guidelines, and these should be displayed in your print room.

I'd never hire you, because you're dishonest and can't be trusted.