Do you agree with joe rogan?

He said how kungfu was a waste of time and worthless. I dont agree but do you? If so explain why and if anyone has done kungfu tell me how it was. Was it good,bad etc. thanks!

• Jay
    Favorite Answer

Joe Rogan is a spokesman and a businessman. He will say ANYTHING to make his product (MMA) look better. Why would he ever bother looking into Kung Fu and it's effectiveness? What good does that do for MMA and his investments? If he looked he would see how effective the Chinese martial arts are, and how incompatible they are in combat sports. Kung Fu is for real life self defense, as well as cultivating a healthy mind and body, not for winning competitions.

Joe Rogan will say ANYTHING to brainwash people into buying his product. No different than a snake oil salesman. Why do I say this? Kung Fu is effective and he is ignorantly spreading lies just for some company that sells a sport.

Lol! Joe Rogan did a one hundred eighty while Machida received his belt, "Now there shall be children lining up a Karate dojos far and wide!", Don't disregard Dana White slamming boxing. Cung-Le simply began in UFC and at just about forty he has a few opponents with a purpose to be following in his footsteps, so the following time you listen Joe Rogan say "Wow they're going to be lining up at Kung-fu kwoons far and wide!" Just chortle and recollect you heard it right here first. Ps Joe Rogan does MMA however he has no legit list, he's a former truth TV exhibit host.

• CM77

Joe Rogan is speaking from the perspective of someone who spends a lot of time around MMA fighters. If you are looking at an MMA career, Kung Fu is not the best base to go in with. On the street, a guy with a hardcore background in Kung Fu could eat a normal person for breakfast. Kung Fu just does not mesh well against someone who trains exclusively in MMA. Unfortunately, the uneducated masses think that this makes Kung Fu useless. Those who know better know that without Kung Fu, there would be no MMA.

Allow me to interject. The other day, I was skimming through a forum, one person wrote "Traditional martial artists are just butt hurt that what they have been studying for the past twenty years is ineffective." I recalled my beginner days of thinking how every style except the one I WAS DOING was inferior. Joe Rogan has never studied the vast HUNDREDS of Chinese martial art, or understood their purpose. CMA were created in times of war, to protect the user, on the battlefield,in the village. The only waste of time is entertaining a you know what like Joe Rogan. He is an over grown fanboy, which as Kokoro would say, has no clue. Tell you what, put Joe Rogan in a Hung Ga class, see if he has the patience and the dedication to do what we do everyday. Joe needs to get his story straight, without TMA, there would be no MMA, the neutered sport version. @Sage, not buying his TKD bull either, that is a lie, TKD students always keep their hands up.

• Lex

The guy who's known more as a comedian than a Martial Artist? I can see where a lot of people might say Kung Fu is useless. Much of what you learn, especially in the beginning is exercises, meant to build stamina, strength and muscle memory. Most people don't bother hanging around to learn the fun stuff.

Strictly speaking, I disagree with him, but I can understand why he'd think that. Many so-called "traditional" systems, and most "kung fu" places you'll find, don't teach you to fight in a realistic manner. There are definitely exceptions- in particular I've seen Wing Chun, Choy Lay Fut, and San Soo guys who could throw down- but in many places you'll spend a lot of time punching and kicking the air, training with archaic weapons, and learning complex defenses that have little likelihood of working. It's really a matter of training method and emphasis. The guys who are good train with a high degree of contact, spar regularly, and only utilize a dozen or so techniques. The guys who spar under the San Da or San Shou format will have an arsenal of punches, kicks, and throws, which as far as training methodology goes places them in the same category as guys who train Muay Thai and Kyokushin (full-contact) karate. However- again- places that train like this are much rarer than ones where you spend half an hour in a horse stance punching the air. While this takes great mental discipline and is fine for building fitness, it's not really learning how to fight. In my experience, many "kung fu" places cater to guys who get their ideas about Chinese martial arts from old Shaw brothers films and haven't faced real violence in their life. Given that, out of 100 "kung fu" practitioners, you might get fifteen who don't fall apart the second they get hit with a real punch, and of those, maybe two or three who can fight back with the same skill level as an amateur boxer or kickboxer.

Joe rogan is a tae kwon do black belt, TPjj black belt, BJJ black belt, and a kickboxing champion with fights to back it up. What he means by saying Kung Fu doesn't work is that it is not the best way to go if you're getting in the cage or an MMA fight. Joe has said before that when he left tae kwon do to train muay thai he get wrecked and found a lot of flaws in tae kwon do. He said he had to learn how to block punches all over again because tae kwon do has a habbit of not protecting your face to do certain techniques. Bad choice of words from Rogan, but he, like few have actually fought and backed up what he talks about. A lot of people learn certain styles of fighting and they just assume its the bset without testing it in the ring or cage.

Source(s): I sparred with a tkd guy at my old gym and i was catching him with hooks and uppercuts all day because he has bad habbits of letting his hands down,. He showed me the way tkd guys block their punches and he had to unlearn that way because of the angles his blocking was. Muay thai or boxing keep their hands tight to the head to block. tkd guys block around their chin only. it could of been just the guy and not every tkd guy but that is what my friend showed me and joe rogan also said the same.

I do karate, so I've never personally done kung fu, but I have friends who do, and it's such a beautiful martial art, and totally not worthless.

disagree!