Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 7 years ago

Do people with mild Asperger's Syndrome deserve extended time on standardized tests?

Hello all. I'm a senior in the midst of the dreaded college applications process. I did relatively well on both SAT and ACT (2210/34) with tons of practice and getting the timing down. I know someone that got extended time as in at least double, possibly more for both tests. Said person is borderline Asperger's/HFA, which won't even exist in DSM V so he won't even have his faulty diagnosis to make him "special." Anyways, he got a 1910 and a 31 but the ACT is really my concern because most intelligent people would get at least a 33 with double time. I feel as if his scores would be about the same without it and likely an ACT closer to 28 or 29 to match his SAT. My point is not to bash those with LDs, because obviously those with ADHD, dyslexia, dyscalculia, etc. need it. This kid doesn't and neither do others like him yet of course it got him into a top 50 school. Why are there so many unfair loopholes in our education system today?

Okay obviously some assumptions you guys think I have need to be clarified. I'm not saying that all people with Asperger's don't deserve extended time because I know what it entails and can make the clear connection as to why they would. I happen to know this kid very well; he is not just some peer of mine who I only see in school so this is why I bring up the question. I understand Asperger's is a broad diagnosis, but his seems even higher on the spectrum than that of most. Also, I'm not saying that the new DSM will invalidate his diagnosis, but rather that it was invalid in the first place. I knew some people would mention the "you're 17 and not a licensed neurologist/psychologist and cannot make such judgements, etc, etc" so I'm not even going to address that.

Oh and Erin for a 13 year old you kind of hit the nail on the head. He's definitely smart enough and we've done practice questions together would get them in about the same amount of time. My point here might be misunderstood. This is not a great example of this because the kid's had accommodations all his life and a likely legit diagnosis. However, there are students who go to a psychologist, act mentally impaired when they aren't, get a diagnosis, and actually get extended time. I think we can all agree that's screwed up but c'est la vie.

Favorite Answer

Maybe.

Asperger's Syndrome is a very, very broad label. Some people with Asperger's have no problems at all, and for some it's a major disability. There is no "one size fits all" thing to do when it comes to autism. So there may be good reasons for him getting extended time. On the other hand, there may not be, and it's possible he's abusing the label.

The problem here is that we have these labels that people attach so much importance to. Instead of asking whether he really needed extra time, they probably looked at the fact that he had a label and said it was okay. A fairer system would forget about labels (which also cause a large amount of stigma, and cause unfair discrimination) and look at people individually.

On a side note, it's not quite accurate that Asperger's "won't even exist in the DSM V". Instead, it's being merged into a more general diagnosis, because there is no good scientific basis for the split between HFA, PDD-NOS, Asperger's, etc. (There is a very good practical reason for the split, which is why I personally oppose the change.)

• loehr

Mild Aspergers Test

People with Autism Spectrum disorders often have poor coordination or have difficulty focusing which is grounds for an accommodation of extended time when testing. Regardless of whether or not this student would fit the new diagnostic criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder, they have the right to accommodation if a qualified professional has determined that it is needed.

It is presumptive to assume that the person in question has a "faulty" diagnosis or that the individual in question would not qualify under the new criteria. While the term Asperger's will not be in the DSM V does not mean that the person will not qualify under the new criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder.

As you are a senior in high school, I am assuming that you are not a licensed professional who is qualified to make such a determination. Nor are you qualified to determine if that individual requires accommodations. If you wish to succeed in the adult world than I suggest that you focus less on what other people get and more on on what you need to do to achieve your goals. There are always going to be things in life that don't seem fair, but you have to deal with them.

Believe me, people with Asperger's Syndrome do not have it easy. Despite higher than average intelligence and enormous potential as employees, 80-90% of us are unemployed or underemployed because employers place as much or more emphasis on social skills as they do on actual qualifications when hiring employees.

Source(s): I have Asperger's Syndrome and a lot of life experience.
  • Erin

People with Aspergers do need extra time on standerdized tests because the smallest things can distract them, pencils scratching on paper, a bird singing outside the window, a person tapping their fingers, all these things can leave them completely unable to focus. You say kids with ADHD should have extra time, well people with Aspergers have as much trouble concentrating as kids with ADHD. You say dyslexics need extra time, because of focusing issues for people with Aspergers words may seem to move around on the page. You are correct that under DSM V Aspergers is no longer listed, however people with a former diagnoses of Aspergers are now listed as High Functioning Autistics, so he does not have a "faulty diagnoses," The extra time didn't get him into a top fifty school, he was smart enough to get in, if he didn't know the answers no amount of extra time wouldhave gotten him in. There aren't unfair loopholes for disabled children, fair isn't every child the same thing, it's getting every child what they as an individual need.

Source(s): I have Aspergers, if I could do as well as other children without the special services, I would, but the thing is, I just can't, please don't judge us when you have no idea what day to day life is like for us.
  • bucky

No, Asperger's syndrome isn't a psychological ailment and could no longer be categorized as one. for my section there is not any reason someone with Asperger's syndrome wouldn't have the means to get a license for a firearm. we can cope with that duty besides as neurotypicals. I honestly have Asperger's syndrome too and no one is established with it till I tell them. i'm no longer sturdy at socializing, i do not realize neurotypicals properly and that i have sensory topics, yet human beings typically trust me a lot more effective than they trust others. i do not see why it would want to be any diverse with coping with a firearm. It sounds to me like the police is amazingly ignorant. perchance you would possibly want to get the opinion of the pro who diagnosd you (or somebody else who makes a speciality of AS) to exhibit to the police.

In what way are you qualified to make a judgement on the accommodations of this student?

Asperger's has a neurological basis, so to assume that all people with this disorder require the same things or have the exact same difficulties is simply not true.

There are people who are qualified that have likely been involved with this student as in reading his past school records, IEP's, and seeing which accommodations he needed in the past that help him to be successful.

Basically it's none of your business and you should focus more on yourself, or if it really bothers you major in a field that will allow you to make changes to what you view as an unfair Special Education model in public schools.

• j p

If the test isn't administered the same way to everyone it isn't a standardized test is it?