Lucy
Lucy asked in HealthWomen's Health · 7 years ago

Should I bother getting toning shoes?

I have brought a treadmill and want to buy myself some new trainers specifically for it. But I was just wondering, should I bother getting toning shoes? Like shape ups? Do they actually work? Do they work a little? Or should I just get normal trainers?

I personally think I could do with a little tone to my bum (although my husband states otherwise) So even if shape ups only work a little I'd be happy with that but if they don't work at all I'm not spending the extra £'s on them.

• Craig
    Favorite Answer

Depends on what you want to achieve and your aims. Toning shoes are 'unstable' and are supposed to make the muscles work harder. The claims made by the companies are not exactly supported by the research and many of the toning shoe companies have legal issues because of that.

Toning shoes do use the muscles differently and do alter the posture somewhat. It is probably a good think to mix it up and do some workouts in those shoes and some not. The variability between different shoes will help load and unload different tissues on different occasions.

HOWEVER, as you are just starting out with the treadmill, I suggest you start with some new running shoes and maybe add the toning shoes later.

Just buy regular trainers, those special toning shoes do not work.