Is Johor Bahru, Malaysia a safe place to be?

Hi there, I'm a 21 year girl going on a 6 week trip to Johor Bahru beginning 2nd January. The trip is organized by AIESEC Maastricht and I'm supposed to do some voluntary work during my stay. The thing is I keep reading horror stories about JB being crime-ridden and unsafe and right now, I have a bad... show more Hi there,

I'm a 21 year girl going on a 6 week trip to Johor Bahru beginning 2nd January. The trip is organized by AIESEC Maastricht and I'm supposed to do some voluntary work during my stay. The thing is I keep reading horror stories about JB being crime-ridden and unsafe and right now, I have a bad feeling in my guts :S Wherever I check, they are reports of car jacking, violent robberies, hands being chopped off, even murders and rapes. i'm seriously considering to cancel the trip because I dpn't wnat to return home one-handed :S What do you guys think? Is it really as bad as it seems to be?