How long is the processing time for US Citizenship? Time taken after applying N-400, Applic.for Naturalization?

I am a Canadian Citizen having a green card from 2008 . I would like to apply for Citizenship through N-400, Application for Naturalization. However I understand I have to live 2 ½ years (30 Months) atleast in the last 5 year before applying from reading the article from US immigration service .TWO questions here ::

1st I have plans to move back to Canada after I receive my dual citizenship . Is that possible

2nd and most important one for me- How long does the processing of Citizenship through naturalization takes?

I would be applying for the dual citizen when I complete by 2 ½ year! but time factor is important for me, for future planning.

4 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You cannot apply for dual citizenship, as the only agency that can grant more than once citizenship would be above the governments of all sovereign nations on Earth, and that agency is the Confederation of Human Planets. The problem is, Earth cannot join for another 10,000 years at the very least. Until then, you can only apply for one citizenship at a time.

    Yes, you can move back to Canada after having become a US citizen. But you'll need a US passport in order to leave the U.S.

    Naturalization takes roughly 4 months from start to finish, five at the most.

    Finally, the residency requirement is only a minimum for cases where you were working for a US company overseas, for example. You still will need to overcome the assumption that you did not permanently reside in the US if you have been gone for almost half of the time of your residency. You will need to show what you did, where you did it, and how you paid for it without having to work.

    Source(s): An immigrant of German and Swedish descent, I live in the charming old mission town of San Buenaventura and work as a corporate attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    4 to 6 months.

    If you've lived outside the USA a significant amount of time with your Green Card I hope you continued to file your Federal Income Tax return each and every year and that you declared ALL your income, from all sources world-wide. If not, don't even bother filing the N-400 because you will be rejected.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Avid
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

    The U.S. does not have duel citizenship you are either a U.S. citizen or a Canadian. Canada may allow you to keep your Canada citizenship but the U.S does not, it's in the test for citizenship. So you have already failed if you have not read it, but then I am not a lawyer.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    read the rules about continuous residence here

    remember you have to file US taxes of all your income

    to the US no matter where you live

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.