Why did Republican Mitch McConnell filibuster himself?
Why did Republican Jim DeMint quit the Senate?
Why did Republican John Boehner remove certain Republicans from the budget talks?
What are Republicans thinking?
- BillLv 78 years agoFavorite Answer
1) McConnell called a vote on whether Congress should abandon the debt ceiling thinking that Democrats would vote against it which would embarrass Obama because Obama proposed eliminating the debt ceiling (well, not completely, but basically it would take a veto override to enforce it) But the Democrats were ready to vote yes, so McConnell filibustered himself to make the measure require 60 votes instead of 50. He was trying to embarrass the President and ended up embarrassing himself.
2) DeMint is a ideologue who is tired of compromise. So he's going to the Heritage foundation where he can be as nasty and irrelevant as he pleases.
3) Boehner is actually probably trying to get a deal done, which is much easier when the DeMint type people aren't heckling him.
4) Who knows.
- 8 years ago
DeMint quit for a higher paying gig.
I think Boehner and some of the other more 'moderate' elements are trying to maneuver some of the radical nut cases out of the way because they know they can't negotiate or compromise on anything ever until they marginalize the children.
Republicans are thinking they are toast if they can't purge the nut bags.
McConnell? I imagine he filibustered himiself just out of habit.
- DaveLv 68 years ago
McConnell got his bluff called, he was trying to force a vote on something he was sure wouldn't pass. In traditional Republican fashion, he overestimated his support and was in danger of having something become law that would have torpedoed any chances the GOP had of driving us off the fiscal cliff.
Jim DeMint quit to go be a lobbyist full time because he was sick of pretending he worked for his constituents. Nothing is different from before, he just "came out of the closet" and admitted his love for corruption in politics.
John Boehner is trying to stop the Titanic from sinking by bailing water over the side with a tea cup.
"Republicans thinking"? lol.
- Anonymous8 years ago
McConnel is useless, it seems like the entire Republican congress is a waste of space.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous8 years ago
GOP are in a war with themselves. I have to say McConnell filibustering himself is the height of parody. loooooooooooooooooool