Senior Citizens. Do you "Remember Pearl Harbor?"?

I just now looked at the date on my computer and the thought came to me. I looked back to see if anyone else asked this question and saw no mention. If I missed any, I apologize.

Yes, this was posted twice, This was my original posting and Yahoo led me to believe there as a problem of some sorts. I reposted and both came up.I made note of that in my second posting.

• Favorite Answer

I remember a lot about it...My dad was in that war, he was in his 20's at the time..I also have been to see the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii and it was amazing too..here is a clip about it..I also have manybooks on it too.

http://biggeekdad.com/2012/04/eternal-peace-on-uss...

This is safe to open too..

We lived in Hawaii several times and once we were in Honolulu on Dec. 7th on the 40th anniversary of the invasion.

So many older vets everywhere, it was hard not to feel emotional.

I have also taken a visit to the Arizona Memorial, very moving as well.

My step-father had a cousin that went down with the ship.

Step- dad was only 17 at the time and with his father giving the ok, he joined the Navy in honor of both his cousin and for the War effort.

Not to stir up any trouble here but I remember getting sort of mad and I could tell many others were getting hot under the collar when I was visiting the memorial.

As we all were looking into the water and down at the spot where the Arizona was, a group of young silly people from Japan were laughing.

They were lucky everyone was in control of themselves and just gave them dirty looks.

I have since been told that in the schools in Japan they basically don't talk or teach anything about their part in that affair.

Heard that here in Hungary where I now live, many Gypsy kids have no idea that they too were targets for the death camps.

Wonder why they don't teach them these facts, unless they( their governments) are embarrassed.

My new DIL is from Japan and I love the people from Japan in general but I can't forget how angry I was that day at the memorial.

Wow, unlike the others who have answered this question, i've been counting the days down for about a week now. I saw a good lineup of documentaries that are on today. Now I wasn't alive, i'm not a senior citizen, but this is one of the most important dates in the history of our country. Dec 7, November 22, June 6, April 14 (1863 and 1912), July 20, and tons of other dates in my historical memory bank that I look forward to commemorating on a yearly basis.

• Ann

I was only 3 years old when it happened, but I remember that my parents were very upset. My father listened to the radio every night after it happened, and there were a lot of prayer meetings at all of the churches in our town. At that time, Pearl Harbor and Hawaii seemed like the other end of the world, and it was very far away. it made everyone very patriotic.

• DeeJay

LeRoy - I will post my same answer on both of you same questions. I've done that too.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt proclaimed - December 7, 1941, "a date which will live in infamy".

Yes. I was 6 years old.

After that - I remember my parents and grandparents - upset and sitting in front of the radio.

My grandmother was crying - 3 of her sons were in each branch of the military.

My grandmother bought a fancy radio - with the short wave bands - we would go to her house - what seemed like every night and listen for news of the war.

I was upset - because they were upset - then I proceeded to get involved - along with every man women and child - in the war effort. Buying stamps at school - each Monday - for ten cents a piece for our savings bonds. ( in the end I had filled three books of stamps - giving me three war bonds.)

We kid's also collected aluminum foil - string - milk cans etc. - to pay for Saturday matinee movie tickets.

I also remember the day the the war ended. Cars honking - fire engine sirens go off - guns fired in the air and people dancing and celebrating on main street.

It was something to behold and vivid in my memory.

DeeJay - I will never forget that day.

• gale

Pearl Harbor, happened way before I was born; however, my father-in-law was a young man who was born in Hawaii and he was walking to his college class when they attacked the island. He has spoken about this day many times and has a scar on his side from where a bullet hit him. He tried to duck under a train to get away but the bullet hit the rail and then, him.

I have been told about this experience from someone who was there and I still cannot imagine what it must have felt like to have bombers shooting and such. My FIL left college to join the military as soon as he was well enough to do so.

I pray all who died that day are at peace.

One sad day in American history.

From the answers I see there are 4 of us here who were living on Dec 7, 1941. Shortly after that date my own home city was also being bombed as a matter of fact my mother was giving birth to my sister at home assisted by a midwife under black out condition. Needless to say my country and homeland was eventually conquered by the Japanese.

No. I was born after that date. If One was born in about 1930 or before, One would be 82 or older by now. There may be a few folk on SC or YA in that range but very few. Of my living older relatives in that range, only one uses the computer but not to play games like YA.

However, we who learned about WWII & the bombing of Pearl Harbor need to remind the younger ones what that occurrence signified. Share with them who are in your midst.

• Lynn

I was about five years old, living in the city of Chicago. Everyone was scared the Japanese would come over and bomb our cities. This began World War 11 and most men got drafted, meat was hard to come by for some of us, and many people grew "victory gardens" with vegetables in them, because a lot of food was hard to come by. All my uncles went off to war. Two in the Army and one in the Navy. The one in the Navy was killed during the war. They never found his body. But it was blessedly over one day and life continued on.

• S

I was born early 50's so it before my time, but I remember my mom saying how they announced it on the radio and how shocked they felt. Like us with 9-11. I have seen documentries and even know it happened that long ago it feels awful