Is it easier and cheaper to get information from a population or a sample? Explain.?

Population and sample

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A population means EVERYONE.

So if you were going to survey, say, women in the 30s, you would have to find EVERY SINGLE woman in her 30s who smokes. In most situations, this is impractical. You may be able to get population information for a school, or a similarly small situation, but normally, doing a population survey is impractical, if not impossible.

The national census is an attempt at a population survey, and it is extremely expensive and time-consuming.

A sample is an amount of people who represent a population. Say, 100 women in their 30s who smoke. In order to avoid bias, and ensure the sample truly represents the population, you use what is called a Simple Random Sample, or SRS. This means the people in the sample are chosen at random. Almost all research data comes from simple random samples.

Bias comes from things like: voluntary response (where you are likely only to get people who are interested in your topic), or oversampling a certain area of people.

• 8 years ago

A sample because you already have a set amount of people willing to help and with a population people may not want to participate and it would take longer to get info from a population

Source(s): psychology 101
  • Frank
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The population is everybody. The sample is a small group chosen from the population.

Which do you think would be easier? Interviewing everybody, or interviewing a small group

• john c
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

It is both easier and cheaper to get info. from a sample, but the info is not valid. One or even several samples doesn`t say anything about statistics or truth about an issue, no general statements can be deducted.

Yes I made a poo-poo. They are right and I am wrong. I took a sample for one individual.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

a sample, and no, i'm not explaining.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.