Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 8 years ago

Why is my hair so dry?

I'm a 21 year old female with long, thick, straight hair. I wash my hair around once a week, using a salon quality sulfate free conditioning shampoo, followed by a conditioning treatment. I never blow-dry or straighten my hair, I don't dye it, I don't expose it to sun or wind. I rarely use hair ties.

Despite all this I still seem to have noticeably dry hair. Being so thick, my hair is naturally coarse, but even hairdressers comment on my dry ends, and I always seem to have split ends.

I really want my hair to look and feel more healthy and less dry. What can I do?

Favorite Answer

FDA recommends you wash your hair daily. Harvest Moon aloe vera shampoo has 0 preservatives and 0 sulfate. It is more gentle than baby shampoo. Since it does not have preservatives in it , it will never be in grocery stores. It is expensive but well worth it. It is made fresh every quarter.

Also if you are doing chemical hair dye that is a big reason for damaged hair.

For your hair type a keratin treatment would be awesome, seriously. You have like the perfect hair for it! My sister had thick and curly frizzy hair so she got one, hers was called cocoa keratin and she ordered it online from a site called beyas because they ship for free and well..no keratin treatment is cheap so that extra saved cash was a godsend. It made her curls looser and they were just really shiny and soft instead of frizzy like they were before. It came with a pre and post shampoo and a conditioner, she took it to a salon too, just in case. Use argan oil to prevent more split ends, the pro naturals brand of argan oil (no silicones) is awesome. And make sure the shears used to trim your hair are SHARP because blunt shears cause more split ends.

All conditioners and styling products labeled "moisturizing for dry hair" or "alcohol free" will condition and take care of dry/frizzy/damaged hair properly. A good leave-in conditioner for dry hair is Infusium 23 Leave In Treatment - Moisture Replenisher (Infusium 23 website) or Sta-Sof-Fro Hair & Scalp Spray (SoftSheen-Carson website). It is the shampoo and water that you use that wrecks havoc on the hair. Healthy hair and scalp starts with the right shampoo and using good quality water. The shampoo should be labeled moisturizing for dry/damaged hair. Organic shampoos or sulfate-free shampoos are the best to use for dry, frizzy, curly, damaged hair, and they are also good for a dry itchy scalp, and other scalp problems. Alot of people also wash their hair by doing co-washing, which is suppose to get rid of dry frizzy hair. Check out the following two videos, they give a list of good shampoos/conditioners to buy, how to get good quality water, and they also explain co-washing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np84UVEwDQY

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5-RfJ3uYhA

Youtube thumbnail

Perfect! Get your hands on argan oil. Loaded with twice as much vitamin E as olive oil, essential fatty acids Omega 6 and Omega 9, argan oil will hydrate, nourish, rejuvenate your scalp and hair. A few drops rubbed into the scalp and hair will do it. YOUR HAIR WILL FEEL AND LOOK FANTASTIC! The Berber women, who are world renown for their beauty, have been using argan oil for over a thousand years, Make sure you get the pure oil only! We get ours at Berber Gold.

Source(s): www.berbergold.com