Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 7 years ago

When will Obama give undocumented people citizenship?

I've been here over 7 years and have not gotten citizenship yet.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Citizenship cannot be handed out. Not even by the President of the United States or the Almighty himself.

One of the primary requirements to obtain US citizenship is that the person has lived in the United States as a GREEN CARD holder for at least 5 years previously to applying. Another major requirement is that the person has NEVER failed to file an income tax return. And a third major requirement is that the person has NEVER been in trouble with the law. That's known as the "good moral character clause."

So while it's possible that the DREAM Act will pass and thus provide certain illegal aliens with a path to permanent residency, it has nothing to do with obtaining US citizenship.

Source(s): An immigrant of German and Swedish descent, I live in the charming old mission town of San Buenaventura and work as a corporate attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • 7 years ago

@ Brother, you are correct with the exception of that if a green card holder is married to an American Citizen it is a 3 year wait to apply for citizenship. Another thing, this "deferred action" is quite strange in its lack of details, other than the I guess you could say suspended deportation for the 2 years that the deferred action provides, which presents quite a interesting scenario, i.e. if you get married during that time to an American citizen or legal resident, can you avoid the 10 year blockade that is in place now? I don't know? If you are technically "protected" for the 2 years and have a child, does this perhaps allow for another complicated divide among the various classes with regard to illegal, visa holders, green card holders & etc. Just saying.

• 7 years ago

The sitting president cannot give undocumented persons citizenship. What the sitting president can do is sign into into law any act Congress approves that would give undocumented persons legal status, leading to legal permanent residence. After they have been legal permanent residents for five years (three in some cases), they can apply for naturalization in order to become US citizens.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Never. There is nothing in the works to give undocumented people who came here on their own citizenship.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Nex
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

If you really did live in US for 7 years you would've dropped the accent over the O a while ago.

Anyways who knows, there are talks of immigration reform passing in 2013.

• 7 years ago

Why don't you go back to your country? You are a criminal. It is illegal to sneak accross the border. It makes me furious when people like you sneak into our country and demand citizenship. This is wrong and injustice. Go back to what ever country you came from.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Know you I know you're a conservative troll posing as an illegal immigrant?

Total Points: 32 (Level 1)

Points earned this week: -4

• 7 years ago

It says a lot when you have to make up characters to disapprove of. Maybe this demographic isn't as permeating as you think.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Never, go back to your own country. You are trespassing.

• team
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

why don't you go through the LEGAL channels?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.