Can I paint my car rims black?

Just bought a 98 F250 with some pretty beat up wheels. 7 lug rims are impossible to find so I decided to just re paint them, they are originally black. Can I still sand them down and prime, paint, and clear them even if they are really rusty? Will it still look good?

Best Answer

Just use a wire wheel and some break cleaner to clean the rims.. Then coat the tire with masking and newspaper and apply 2 coats of rustoleum primer.. Let them dry between coats.. Another 2 coats of rustoleum black paint and if you want a clear coat... Coats as mich as you want with the clear.. The more coats the shinier it will look

Source(s): Did it myself on my camaro
  • Kristi

Depending on the current finish, you would need to rub the shiny off first with something like a fine grit sand paper, or scoth brite cleaning pads (used to clean pots in the kitchen). Then use a etch type primer, couple coats at least, then a enamel black paint, and finally a nice gloss clear coat. But if you really want it to last, look up 'powder coaters' in your phone book or google your local powder coater. It is the only way to paint wheels to last.

Yes you can. they make paint just for rims/ never used it so dont know if its good.

VHT makes a black epoxy paint. its good because you dont need primer and you dont need clear.

The epoxy makes it shiney like a clear when dried.

The paint is already mixed in a spray can and cost 10-12 a can on amazon. I would take advantag of there spend $25 get free shipping deal.

Your betcha. A 4-inch angle grinder with a stiff twisted wire wheel will take the rust down nicely. Then sand, degrease, apply a rust preventative if you want, prime and paint. They will look good for a long time if you do it right.

Source(s): Done my share of autobody work

I have had very good luck sand-blasting steel wheels for paint prep. After blasting, prime the bare metal with zinc chromate self-etching primer and let dry, then finish with the paint of your choice. I personally like the idea of a wrinkle-finish, as previously suggested, but it all boils down to what you like.

Hey Wood. After you knock off the rust you could prime them, and maybe paint with some high temp crackle-finish type paint. I believe you can get it in black. Might give the 250 a ballsy look.

• JetDoc

Just brush them down with a wire brush, mask the rubber tires if you want and use a rattle can of Rust-oleum paint. Don't bother with a clear coat because no matter what you do, you'll have to do this again in about a year.

• Panda

Yes, you can paint your car by self. Maybe this article with photos is helpful for you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6637093_paint-car-matte-bl...

By the way, an advice for protecting your new painting car.

Better prepare a quality car cover for protection. When you park your car outdoor, it will keep your car against rain, dust, scratches from pets, tree branches and slight collision, bird droppings and so on.

Source(s): personal advice http://www.thepandacover.com

You can surely do it but "look good" is evidently in the eye of the beholder. That is an ugly truck with ugly wheels and will remain ugly even if totally reworked. Sorry, I like brunettes better than blondes also.

Yes, i would suggest tremclad black rust paint. also over that, some clear(either gloss or flat) spray paint, also tremclad.