Nick asked in SportsFootball (American) · 7 years ago

To short for Quarterback?

Hi, I am 14 and playing freshmen football in 9 months. I have a nice spiral through pretty hard am accurate and can throw a ball a good 40 yards. I have played pop Warner for 5 years as a slot receiver and back up qb. But do to the lack of experience at qb on my freshmen team i am really considering going out for qb. The only problem is i am only 5'4 125 and will probably be 5'6 or 5'7 by freshmen football. Should I go out for QB or just stick the receiver and safety? Am i to short for QB???

throw*

btw i have been going to the weight room 3 times a week for 5 months now

• Cu Tie
    Favorite Answer

No, you are not too short to play football. Based on your height and weight, as well as your accuracy and arm strength, I believe that you will make a very good fit at quarterback. For your age, you have the ideal size for a high school freshman quarterback.

My best advice for you is to work hard and perform very well in practice every day. In addition, what you need to do this upcoming (and every) offseason is eat healthy, exercise by doing weight lifting, and either jogging or going for a long run every day. If you do these things, you will get faster, stronger, and into better shape, which will greatly improve your chances of becoming a successful, top notch quarterback in high school football, who could go on to play college football in the future.

No man, your only 14, that's not bad size. The reason why coaches want taller qb's at college and nfl levels is because all the lineman are big and need to be able to see over them to find receivers. Don't worry, you'll grow some more

Source(s): sophmore football player

Russel Wilson is like 23 and is 5'10" and he punched the bears defense in the mouth.

dont ever use your size as an excuse, because anyone, any size can play QB for the NFL and get two game winning drives against the Chicago Bears Defense.

You should 100% go out for quarterback. Even if you aren't successful in this position, the experience will help you so much in the other positions. Good Luck

Russell Wilson! Just watch him play. He may be short but he is a great player

Height usually isn't the prob at highschool football level... It's strength skill and aggressiveness that usually matter more

Supposbly u wont be able to see the receivers

No dude your fine at 5'7

not for a freshman. you'll grow, too. my school's varsity quarterback last year was 5'9 and was all-state.