Young Boy Sent to a Juvenile Detention Center for Bringing a Knife to School?

My little brother just recently brought a knife to a school and is now being held at a juvenile detention center down town for the next 5 days and I do not believe that this is ethical. I found out about it on the exact same day he was submitted into the penitentiary, and I was in shock - I think it is ridiculously blown out of proportion. I live in Colorado, and he attends a school part time and foolishly brought a knife to school and ended up showing a single friend; he did not take it out of the sheath, and especially didn't threaten anyone with it. He says that he accidentally brought it, but I'm not sure what truth applies to that, or if it would even matter. They say it is a "felony" but I find that extremely difficult to believe.

Regardless, I have a problem with the way that the "justice" was executed. I have never heard of anything relatively this extreme for something that appears so minor. It was unwise and wrong to bring it to school, but I do not believe this 13-year-old, innocent boy deserves something so drastic in his life. There was never any trial, lawyer, investigation (that I know of), nor a court date before he was put in juvie. I'm not as familiar with the law as I'd like to be, but I didn't know that they can throw you in jail without an investigation or arrest warrant. There will apparently be a court date on the 18th of December, but that is not going to take back the near-week he spent in jail or any of the awful memories he experienced during it.

Was there anything done that shouldn't have been? I think there has to be some law that they did not abide by, and I'd like to know if that's true.

If you know anything about law enforcement and the steps that are legally required to follow, please help me - it will be greatly appreciated.

Jacob

Favorite Answer

"18-12-105.5. Unlawfully carrying a weapon - unlawful possession of weapons - school, college, or university grounds.

(1) A person commits a class 6 felony if such person knowingly and unlawfully and without legal authority carries, brings, or has in such person's possession a deadly weapon as defined in section 18-1-901 (3) (e) in or on the real estate and all improvements erected thereon of any public or private elementary, middle, junior high, high, or vocational school or any public or private college, university, or seminary, except for the purpose of presenting an authorized public demonstration or exhibition pursuant to instruction in conjunction with an organized school or class, for the purpose of carrying out the necessary duties and functions of an employee of an educational institution that require the use of a deadly weapon, or for the purpose of participation in an authorized extracurricular activity or on an athletic team."

So - there's the law. As to what will occur with your brother...no one knows.

"... he was submitted into the penitentiary..." Probably not, for a 13 year old.

Steps to be followed? Lawyer up.

yes, they can throw you in jail and hold you until your court date, then possibly give you more time after that. I have friends who think knives are "cool" and collect them because they are "nature" people. But that doesn't mean they're hording knive to throw them at people, I understand what you're saying. But there is nothing you can do, the law was followed. A similar situation happened to me and I questioned it in court. They basically just said sorry and let me go. I couldn't get that time back or do anything about it.

you do not think this is "ethical"?

what does ethics have to do with your little brother breaking the law and bringing a weapon to school?

did he "foolishly" bring it, or did he "accidentally" bring it?

Why is a 13 year old a "part time student"?

Your point could be argued under CRS 18-12-105.5 ANNOTATION

A "knife is not a weapon - - - Blade has to be 31/2" in length