Would it be possible to learn economics on my own without going to college for it?

I am majoring in journalism, and I want that degree, so I wouldn't have time to be taking economics courses (or history or politics, which I'm trying to learn on my own as well), but I'm going to be getting the Wealth of Nations, by Adam Smith, and I'm going to read some books from Mises, Friedman,... show more I am majoring in journalism, and I want that degree, so I wouldn't have time to be taking economics courses (or history or politics, which I'm trying to learn on my own as well), but I'm going to be getting the Wealth of Nations, by Adam Smith, and I'm going to read some books from Mises, Friedman, Rothbard, Hazlitt, and even though I can't stand him, Keynes.

I kind of have a minor understanding of the general ideas of the economic theories, more than the average person, because I have been researching these things and reading up on them.

Would I be able to get a very good understanding without taking any classes on them? Would that be possible?

Thanks.