promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Christians: What are your thoughts on Matthew 6:5-7?

Update:

Well, I had hoped people knew either their Bible or C&P&Google well enough that it was not needed, but here ya go: 5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

KJV

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Ashley
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

The way I take this:

There are a lot of people who like to get up and say long prayers in front of people just for the attention. The attention they receive is the only reward they will get for such prayers.

Sincere prayers that were not prayed for attention only, but for God alone will be rewarded.

Words repeated just to make the prayer longer or sound more religious are worthless. Pray with meaning.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

We are to do things for God, not men. Be god pleasers, not men pleasers.

A lot of "christians" do things to be seen of other people, so they will look at them and say/think 'Oh, look at so-and-so, he is such a good chrisitian..'

*Pat on the back*

The pat on the back in 'their reward'. like this verse says. They won't receive any reward or recognition from God because he knows the true intentions of their hearts.

Sometimes, even things like praying in a public restaurant before you eat can be bad, if you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

A lot of ppl look at this verse and take it very literally. Like...ok we aren;t supposed to pray in the street and we need to go in our closets.....who prays in the streets?! no one.

They don't stop to think about all the other ways they can be doing things, now-a-days, just like these ppl. A lot of ppl go to church just so other ppl will see, or they only act godly in church....so other ppl will see, pray in restaurants, tithe, fake being nice at church, then gossip behind closed doors at home. The list goes on.

We need to seek gods approval, not mans'. And make sure that our intentions are pure. So that on judgment day he says 'well done, my good an faithful servant.'

Because believe me everyone....no one is fooling God. He is not mocked.

• Do not make a spectacle out of yourself while praying to get the admiration of men and saying long memorized prayers are no good either. God wants honest, sincere, heartfelt prays from the secret place of the heart.

• 8 years ago

It means: don't act like you're some "holier-than-thou" character in front of people -- like you're "better" than they are. Because you AREN'T the one 'without sin,' to cast the first stone...

And you can leave out your vain repetitions when it comes to prayers to God; you're not a robot, nor a broken record; God heard you the first time. Don't sit there 'chanting' your prayer over and over and over and over, as if God were deaf, or like some CD that keeps skipping. Pray sincerely from your heart; God heard you the first time. And the first time is all it takes...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

it is only my own perception: no rely if or no longer hell is a literal place of fireplace, which i'm no longer completely confident that that is, i think of that the discomfort derived from the soul's everlasting separation from God will bring about equivalent torment in suffering. My important help for it is that persons have been designed for fellowship with God. And the bible says that for the period of the destiny each little thing will comprehend Him as author. So, whilst the soul's come to stand that they are have existed because it replaced into meant, that must be very painful.

• 8 years ago

Reward in heaven and on earth as well

Pray in secret and God will reward you onpenly in front of all the world here on earth and in heaven.

7, Don't pray the same thing and don't pray for a long time this will just put every one asleep zzz. they won't remember what you just prayed. nether will God? well God will know but if you keep asking in different forms God will look at like your just trying to talking him/God into it.

• 8 years ago

It means to not repeat the same things everytime in your prayers. And when you are eating at a restaurant a small discreat prayer is good.

Source(s): The bible (:
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

the pharisees and even some conservative jews today wore prayer signs on their hats and hems , then paraded themselves making out they were pious in the eyes of the people.

• 8 years ago

it pretty much means to not be self righteous and boastful...

• 8 years ago

My thoughts? My thoughts are I'm too lazy to look it up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.