Teach myself how to drive confidently?

Today I took my first road test and failed. It's not that i cant drive but more of me being nervous . Like when I turned the corner someone was parallel parking and my instructor told me to pass them by going onto the other lane. I was scared that my instructor would give me points for waiting to long to pass them but when I tried to they began moving out there spot and I almost crashed. I've taking driving lessons with a school and have been driving with my bf & mom. Whenever I drive with my bf he always yells at me when I do something wrong but when I do something right he stays quiet. I told him that I wanted him to tell me when I do something right but he said he shouldn't have to I should know from him not saying anything. & my mom is not a bad teacher she just forgets to remind me to look behind me when I do lane changes . I know the basics of driving it's just that I get nervous sometimes & it causes me to mess up. I just want to know if driving by myself sometimes would help me build confidence???

• Best Answer

I am sorry things did not work out for you today, you may want to think of how you’ve learnt things in the past. Did you get everything right the first time? Majority of the time, the answer to that question is no. Did you sometimes experience failure or disappointment? My guess is yes.

You must be realistic, you will achieve your desired success if you really want to, but it will take time.

It is safe to say that driving a motor vehicle is a complex task involving not just the driver, but also the vehicle, the road and the environment.

The majority of road crashes are a result of driver error. These driver errors include; lack of attention, excessive speed, poor observation skills, incorrect evasive action and failing to obey road rules.

By becoming a safe, responsible driver, we can minimize our risk of being involved in a collision. In addition to the requirement that you are able to handle the physical task of driving a motor vehicle and cope with a variety of weather and road conditions, you also need to possess:

• A detailed knowledge of the road rules and how to apply them

• Sound observation and judgement

• Common sense along with courtesy when sharing the road with other users

• Hazard recognition and risk avoidance skills

• Anticipation and awareness

• An ability to make good decisions quickly.

• Understanding of your driving behaviours and how they potentially affect other road users

• The right attitude and approach to your driving by avoiding risk taking behaviours.

There is also a common perception that learning stops once a driver has passed their test. Remember the driving test is only an assessment of a person’s ability to be granted permission to drive a vehicle unsupervised.

The most important thing to remember is that your driving instructor should not be teaching you to pass a driving test s/he should educating people in skills that are essential in staying safe after the driving test.

The Driver.

Vision

One of the most important senses required for driving is vision. 90% of the information received by a driver is visual. Problems with vision are increasingly common with advancing age and can occur gradually. These problems may include difficulty in being able to:

• Observe and read road signs, signals and markings

• Detect moving or stationary objects

• See after exposure to sudden glare or when going from dark to light or vice versa

Peripheral Vision

Also known as side vision, this is ability to see objects off to the sides, whilst looking directly ahead at an object. This full field of vision should be approximately 140 degrees (70 degrees on either side). We use the term ‘tunnel vision’ to describe those who have a narrow field of vision, and people with tunnel vision are at a great disadvantage when it comes to driving. When it comes to driving, it is essential to have near full visual field or at least the ability to compensate for any loss.

“Never rely on your peripheral vision alone – always turn your head”

Observation

To be a good driver, you must aim to have the best possible view around the vehicle at all times, this can be achieved by ensuring the windscreen is clean, and the cockpit drill has been achieved and the wipers are in good working order. To get the ‘big picture’, aim high by looking well ahead and straight past any vehicles in front. It is suggested that the eyes scan from the road environment and signs to the mirrors to the vehicle’s gauges, i.e., speed, fuel, temperature and oil. You should be checking your mirrors every 5 seconds along with your position. When approaching intersections and roundabouts you should scan by turning your head in both directions to increase your peripheral vision.

Planning and Judgement

Good planning and judgement skills are essential in order to react appropriately to what you observe so that you drive safely in your own vehicle and with other road users. Your responses should be judged on what you:

• Observed

• Interpreted

• Judged

Although much of this process seems automatic, in reality our mind and body are working hard to process all of the information and then plan a response. The processing of information and reaction times tend to slow down as a driver gets older. Consider the demands of driving in peak hour traffic, entering a busy highway, reacting to hazardous situations, negotiating a busy intersection or roundabout, travelling in unfamiliar territory and changing lanes in busy traffic.

Driving in certain situations can:

• Put more pressure on you

• Give less time to respond dangerous situation

• Require fast processing of information

Be sure to brush up on road rules (refer to Your keys to driving in Queensland)

Source(s): www.passplusdriving.com

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Teach myself how to drive confidently?

Today I took my first road test and failed. It's not that i cant drive but more of me being nervous . Like when I turned the corner someone was parallel parking and my instructor told me to pass them by going onto the other lane. I was scared that my instructor would give me points for waiting...

Source(s): teach drive confidently: https://tinyurl.im/pUeNu

I've heard of stuff like this but I'm pretty sure its only a small percentage of pacer and driving horses that are really unable to trot. I think those types of horses are discouraged from cantering at an early stage in their training, so this can be a difficult thing to overcome, not impossible though. have you seen her canter naturally (e.g. in her pasture at play)? have you tried working her in a round pen with a lunge line? that's where to start. you should start working on her cues to canter from the ground, and slowly make your way to saddle work once she fully understands what you want from her. you may even want to work her with another horse and have her see them canter and try to get her to follow suit, and if she can trail ride, encourage her to canter with them as well. as for jumping, once she is comfortable and has the canter very solid and as effortless as any average riding horse, start walking her over things from the ground. I would start with things she barely has to pick her feet up over, such as even walking over a long straight piece of rope on the ground, then move to rails layed out on the ground, then very low crossrails, etc etc. as for the steering, try working her in a large open arena with a halter and lead rope at both a walk and a trot, and jog alongside her while asking her to follow you in various turns and directions and see if she responds well to that. then try it with bit and bridle, THEN try to do the same with her when riding. if not, I'm all out of answers and you should ask a pro, lol! be careful and patient when introducing new objects as you never know what any horse will be afraid of! she sounds lovely btw :) good luck!