Where to live in Spain?

In the new year I am going to live in Spain for 3-4 months to learn Spanish (I'm from the UK so visa etc aren't a problem), but I'm unsure of where to go. I don't want to be in any of the real touristy places where there are lots of other Brits. I just want a nice location where little English is spoken so I have to speak Spanish, but where there are things to do so I can go out a meet people and have some fun.

Also, I know it's a pretty vague questions and difficult to quantify, but anyone have any ideas on the costs of living in Spain?

Favorite Answer

Barcelona and Madrid have fantastic night lives! Would you prefer to be far from water (Madrid) or close to water(Barcelona),

Okay...Visa may not be a problem, but I do hope you are independently wealthy, because getting a job in a country where the unemployment rate is between 25 and 50% (depending on demographic) is going to be more than "tough".

You want a place where little English is spoken: Stay in the center of the country, except for Madrid, and find a small town.

I have been to all the holiday resorts in Spain so if i was moving I would choose Majorca but it will be very quiet during the winter season but I presume Barcelona would be a good choice but the cost of living is almost double UK prices for food and drink, I don't know what it would cost to rent an apartment but will be expensive, unemployment in spain is very high but if you can support yourself for the time you are there it shouldn't be much problem. There is various types of Spanish spoken in Spain and it depends which of them you want to learn but almost everyone in Spain speaks English, Good Luck

• abc123

Granada

Would be difficult to give an answer that will be of any use to you unless we know whether you will be looking for work at this time and if som what your skills, experience and qualifications are.

• Ash

Barca and Madrid are expensive, valencia is cheaper and more students. Also us pakistanis sell kebab there. Buy from Pakistanis only./

• Kevin7

I think Madrid

Barcelona. Things should be hela cheap there cause their economy is in the sh*tter.

Best place is Madrid ofcourse.

• guiri

Santander, Salamanca are both good.

Source(s): Heresay