Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

is the roman catholicism the true church of Christ?

or part of the true churches of Christ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The true church is the one that began in Acts 2. This church is described by organization, doctrine, entrance requirements, worship, purpose, name, and practices throughout the New Testament.

The true church today will be the same in these ways as the church described in the New Testament.

If I traveled from my home to another city and wanted to find a church that was the same as the church I belong to at home, I would look for these same characteristics. If I found a church that taught the same things, worshiped the same way, etc., I would know that church was the same religiously as the one at home. Both congregations would be part of the same church even though they are separated by many miles.

Likewise, if I wanted to find a church the same as one I knew years ago, and I found a church that was the same in doctrine, organization, etc., I could know they were the same even though they were separated by time.

Time (time alone) is not a safe guide. In 1 Timothy 4:1 says, "some will depart from the faith". Notice they will not just loose or grow weak in faith, but they will depart from "the faith".

Those who made this departure could trace themselves back through time to a point before the departure, but an examination of their beliefs and practices would show they were not still the same faith as the original.

To find the true church, the same system applies! The New Testament describes the original (true) church. Compare "modern" churches to that standard! If you find a church that is the same as the New Testament pattern, then you have found the true church!

Most churches (including Catholics), have changed from that original church in a few or many ways. Since this is the case, they are no longer the original church, but a church of man-made origins and/or distortions.

Jesus said those "teaching as doctrine the commandments of men" have a form of worship that is "vain" (useless, worthless, of no value) in God's eyes! (Matthew 15:9) To be pleasing to the Lord, we should return to God's word as our authority and guide as a church! No man-made church or doctrine is as good as the original!

• 8 years ago

You know evangelists that the evangelical movement was started in the 1800s not in th first century. For a while there was only one church which then split into the orthodox and the Catholics. The Protestants came from the Catholics after a disagreement over church authority and a number of abuses of church power. Thus both the orthodox and catholic churches are true churches following the teachings of Christ. Christ did not say that unless you turned to him as your savior you are dammed. That was made by John Calvin a Protestant. Jesus did say he would judge all at the end of time and from the parable of sheep and goats send some to heaven and some to hell. I am not saying all Protestants are going to hell and that all orthodox and Catholics will go to heaven. I am saying that the above two churches have kept most faithfully to christ's teachings. God bless.

Source(s): Catholic and student of church history in spare time.
  • Eire7
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Yes it is. We can know that the Catholic Church is the one church that Christ founded because it alone has all four marks of the one true church.

We can know that there is meant to be only one church because in scripture the Church is referred to as being the bride of Christ…if the Church is not one, then Christ would be a bigamist were we all to be his ‘brides’ and that is a nonsense. If we are one, then we profess one belief, one faith, one set of teachings. This is clearly not the case when we look outside the Catholic Church and 33,000 + denominations each have their own ‘man-made’ teachings and beliefs.

The Church is holy because it was founded by Christ who himself is holy. The Church is holy because of its Sacraments through which we are able to receive an outpouring of the grace of God, and through which we may become holy. Through the Churches doctrines, the church is holy.

Churches come and churches go but the Catholic Church will stand forever.

The church is ‘Catholic’, because it is universal, ie it is open to everyone.

The Catholic Church fulfils the scripture that disciples should be made of all nations. To this day catholic missionaries travel the far reaches of the earth to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to know Christ. (over a million africans each year convert to the Catholic faith)

Jesus promised to be with the Church (note, not churches) and its members, until the end of time. Hence, Jesus can now – and always will be – found in the Catholic Church.

Jesus himself appointed the Apostles and gave them the authority to lead the church. Jesus didn’t start something to let it fizzle out, he knew that the Apostles would ordain successors who would in turn ordain successors, thus ensuring an Apostolic lineage that would span nigh on 2,000 years, and for all the years to follow. In the same way, Jesus did not leave his church bereft of a visible leader. He gave St. Peter alone the authority to lead the church and that same authority and power has been passed on to each of St. Peter’s successors.

Since the Church’s foundation it has believed in Christ’s Resurrection, in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, has celebrated Mass, has forgiven sins via the Sacrament of Reconciliation, has baptised its members, has venerated Mary and has accepted the authority of the Pope and the bishops of the Church etc. To this day, it still does so. This can not be said for any other church.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

If Jesus came back today and wandered through town, he would recognize services at Synagogues, Catholic and Orthodox Churches. Because we still do things as the Apostles did 2000 years ago.

He would not recognize services at newer denominations. They do not reflect what Jesus lived.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pancho
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

This isn't a troll i'm leaving. Take me seriously. I want you to do yourself a huge favor and download a book here online. It's titled, "The Vatican Holocaust," by Avro Manhattan. It's a free download and it's illustrated. After you read it, you'll know that Roman Catholicism isn't a church at all, but an organization that is used to control the behaviour of the population. During the 1940s and 1950s, the Vatican slaughtered many people in Eastern Europe, trying to force them to become Catholics. Catholics wag their heads and say that it never happened, but lying about it doesn't make it go away. Avro Manhattan did all he could to expose the Vatican for what it is. In 1978, the newly elected pope, John Paul the 1st, said that he was going to clean up the corruption in the Vatican. One month later he was dead, and the Vatican didn't allow an investigation. It got rid of all the evidence. That's called, "tampering with evidence," and people who do that go to prison. Not them, though. They're too powerful. The only "church" of Jesus ("Christ" wasn't His name - it's a title) are those people who pray to Him, who meditate deeply upon Him, and who understand what He was teaching. THAT is the "church" of Jesus ... Roman Catholicism has nothing to do with Jesus or His teachings ... you should stay away from it. And you need to download and read that book ...

• Nous
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Their unchristian intolerance of all other Chrsitians is whyChristianity has been split into over 39,500 different denominations, sects and cults setting christian against christian and christians against everyone else!

God's work? Hardly!

It must be the Devil and the Antichrist working together to divide, conquer and destroy Christianity from the inside!

• ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The Catholic church was not the First church nor is it the true church. The First Christian Church was in Antioch read the book of Acts.

And don't listen to Catholic lies that their church was established first and is the only true church.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

NEITHER -

The Roman Catholic Church was formed by Constantine in the early 300s AD

And today declares the Bible is wrong.

• 8 years ago

In this world today their is no true Church. not even one follows God's word completely . sad but true

• 8 years ago

No and no.

Source(s): 46+ years following a Jewish Carpenter & studying His Book! I am the real Pastor Art, not the clone.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.