Certain toxins are capable of blocking the Ach receptors within a motor end plate. Explain the health conseque?

Certain toxins are capable of blocking the Ach receptors within a motor end plate. Explain the health consequences of a heavy exposure to this type of toxin

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You wrote: "Certain toxins are capable of blocking the ACh (acetylcholine) receptors within a motor end plate. Explain the health consequences of a heavy exposure to this type of toxin"

This is a fairly detailed question, unlike that which you posted before (Tendon rupture). So, I had to do some research.

There are a variety of "toxins," both organic and inorganic, that can cause blockage at the end plate receptors. Such examples may be:

1. autoimmune (antibodies that target elements of transmission)

2. toxins (e.g. botulism, snake venom, spider bites (Black Widow), and neuromuscular blocking agents)

3. genetic

Eventually, with enough exposure, many disease states or conditions can arrive as a result:

Some examples:

* Myasthenia gravis (auto-immune)

* Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome

* Congenital myasthenic syndrome

* Botulism (however, botox injections are done for specific areas or reasons).

* Spider and Snake Bites: Causing local to body-wide paralysis, breakdown of tissue, necrosis, etc.

Some of these can be intentional - to have full-body effects (like neuromuscular blocking agents used in anesthesia), whereas others may be developed by a genetic/autoimmune disorder.

"Heavy exposure" is a subjective and superlative expression here. "Saturation," or "excessive exposure," may be more appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): I'm a Family Practice NP
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

But I need help with the first question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.