Summer program for West Point?

I'm currently a Junior in High School and am really dedicated to getting admitted into West Point. Will attending the Summer Leaders Seminar (SLS) increase my chances at getting admitted into West Point? Also, there's also a chance that they can deny you from going to the seminar too right?

Thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

West Point SLS is very competitive. Many applicants are denied.

Listen at 2:55....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRWc9GiSMCA

Youtube thumbnail

"About half will receive an offer and about 40-45% will accept. This indicates that of 1000 SLS attendees half will receive an offer of appointment. Also consider that a significant percent who attend SLS decide they are not interested in West Point and do not complete the application. This means that being selected for SLS means a very good chance, better than 50% of receiving an offer of appointment. Having attended SLS or another Summer Seminar informs the selection boards at all the Academies that a Candidate has a more informed view of the life of a Cadet and is less likely to drop out, so having attended is a definite plus factor in admissions.

Good Luck!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes, it helps a little, but not a whole lot because the SLS is mainly a recruiting tool, used to get people to come to visit who might not normally have a chance, so it's harder for highly competitive districts. There's definitely a chance you get rejected, because they have less slots available than actual appointments.

EDIT: Since going to the summer programs do help though (as well as help you figure out if it's what you want), then I suggest applying to the other service academy (USNA, USAFA, and USCGA) summer programs too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.